Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Intel 65nm vs 45nm on P5W DH Deluxe MB

Last response: in CPUs
February 13, 2011 4:45:14 PM

Hello,

I am currently running an Intel 6550 CPU on a ASUS P5W DH Deluxe MB I decided to upgrade the CPU to an Intel 6800 CPU the main difference is that the 6550 is 65nm chip while the 6800 is a 45nm chip. Although went to the ASUS WEB site and the Intel web site I cannot find any reference as to whether I wil have a problem with the 6800 chip on my ASUS MB Any Help woud be appreciated.
February 13, 2011 4:59:12 PM

ron_44 said:
Hello,

I am currently running an Intel 6550 CPU on a ASUS P5W DH Deluxe MB I decided to upgrade the CPU to an Intel 6800 CPU the main difference is that the 6550 is 65nm chip while the 6800 is a 45nm chip. Although went to the ASUS WEB site and the Intel web site I cannot find any reference as to whether I wil have a problem with the 6800 chip on my ASUS MB Any Help woud be appreciated.

Hi Ron_44 :hello:  ...First off if there is no mention of your cpu in the Asus cpu support list for your motherboard,than your motherboard does not support your cpu :pt1cable:  ...Second get the full specification name of your intel cpu :pt1cable:  ...Intel 6800 cpu is a 45nm chip will not help,is it E6800 or some other spec name :pt1cable:  ...Find out and come back with it ;)  ...Also the full spec,like how many MB cache,dual or quad core etc :pt1cable:  ...
Score
a b à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 13, 2011 5:42:28 PM

ron_44 said:
Hello,

Is that a 6850 that you are talking about?
Score
Related resources
February 13, 2011 5:58:08 PM

Sorry was trying to be brief here is the purchase description

Intel BX80571E6800 Pentium Dual-Core E6800 Processor - 3.33GHz, Socket 775, 2MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Wolfdale, Dual Core

As you see there is no mention of the 65nm versus 45nm technology so I assumed (my mistake) that the chip would be supported asfter loking at the mb manual my eye caught the 65nm technology issue. The E6800 is 45nm but there are mentions of the Wolfdale support on the ASUS website for every chip number around the E6800 such as the E6700 and the E6850 but no mention of the E6800. You may ask why I didn;t order one of the other chips that were listed well it was just a major fat fingering on my part sadly Tiger Direct does not allow returns on this CPU so I figured I may as well see if it works with ms ASUS P5W DH Deluxe mb.
Score
February 13, 2011 6:33:14 PM

Thanks Much

It appears your answer is right on the money I realy appreciate your time

Ron
Score
February 14, 2011 3:02:36 PM

ron_44 said:
Thanks Much

It appears your answer is right on the money I realy appreciate your time

Ron

Hi Ron_44 :hello:  ...I have just come back to your post for help & checked your specifications & went up to Asus ;)  ...Now Asus P5WDH Deluxe cpu support list does not show any support for your intel E6800 @ 3.33 GHz with 2 MB cache...There is a E6850 @ 3.0 GHz with 4 MB cache that is supported which I have 3 of these cpus & two are used ;)  ...If you have a look on the main specifications page,no where does it say that there is support for any 45nm architecture cpu ;)  ...I would watch out for mousemonkey,he could of went to the wrong page & read it and forgot about being at the wrong page,while finding the right page,but not reading it & than getting the link to it :pt1cable:  ...Or the other solution for mousemonkey is that his glasses ain't no good for him any more :lol:  ...Do you see him in his avatar wearing his glasses :lol:  ,maybe he should buy another pair through eBay :lol:  ...
Score
February 14, 2011 3:18:38 PM

ron_44 said:
Sorry was trying to be brief here is the purchase description

Intel BX80571E6800 Pentium Dual-Core E6800 Processor - 3.33GHz, Socket 775, 2MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Wolfdale, Dual Core

As you see there is no mention of the 65nm versus 45nm technology so I assumed (my mistake) that the chip would be supported asfter loking at the mb manual my eye caught the 65nm technology issue. The E6800 is 45nm but there are mentions of the Wolfdale support on the ASUS website for every chip number around the E6800 such as the E6700 and the E6850 but no mention of the E6800. You may ask why I didn;t order one of the other chips that were listed well it was just a major fat fingering on my part sadly Tiger Direct does not allow returns on this CPU so I figured I may as well see if it works with ms ASUS P5W DH Deluxe mb.

Hi Ron_44 :hello:  ...You can always give it a go & stick it in & see if it boots,although I would not do this :pt1cable:  ...Since there is no support for it at all what so ever ;)  ...
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 14, 2011 3:37:18 PM

Wish I Was Wealthy said:
Hi Ron_44 :hello:  ...I have just come back to your post for help & checked your specifications & went up to Asus ;)  ...Now Asus P5WDH Deluxe cpu support list does not show any support for your intel E6800 @ 3.33 GHz with 2 MB cache...There is a E6850 @ 3.0 GHz with 4 MB cache that is supported which I have 3 of these cpus & two are used ;)  ...If you have a look on the main specifications page,no where does it say that there is support for any 45nm architecture cpu ;)  ...I would watch out for mousemonkey,he could of went to the wrong page & read it and forgot about being at the wrong page,while finding the right page,but not reading it & than getting the link to it :pt1cable:  ...Or the other solution for mousemonkey is that his glasses ain't no good for him any more :lol:  ...Do you see him in his avatar wearing his glasses :lol:  ,maybe he should buy another pair through eBay :lol:  ...

I suggest you look at the "CPU support list" where you will find that the 45nm CPU's are indeed supported and even though the 6800 is not specifically mentioned there is a good chance that it will work just fine.

Looks like someone needs to stop clicking on the smilies and get some spectacles of their own.
February 15, 2011 1:21:13 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I suggest you look at the "CPU support list" where you will find that the 45nm CPU's are indeed supported and even though the 6800 is not specifically mentioned there is a good chance that it will work just fine.

]http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/930/cpulist.jpg

Looks like someone needs to stop clicking on the smilies and get some spectacles of their own.

Bye,Bye mousemonkey :hello:  ...I still think you should get some new glasses boy & real soon ;)  ...If they have no support for his cpu & he brought the cpu specification up onto this post after I mentioned that he should check the cpu specs & post them so I could check the cpu for him & I did & there was no cpu support at all :)  ...Just get some new glasses & own up that you give false leads to people in trouble :)  ...
Score
a b à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 15, 2011 4:20:52 PM

Wish I Was Wealthy said:
Bye,Bye mousemonkey :hello:  ...I still think you should get some new glasses boy & real soon ;)  ...If they have no support for his cpu & he brought the cpu specification up onto this post after I mentioned that he should check the cpu specs & post them so I could check the cpu for him & I did & there was no cpu support at all :)  ...Just get some new glasses & own up that you give false leads to people in trouble :)  ...

The real question is "how long should I ban you for?"
Score
a c 133 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 15, 2011 4:34:12 PM

Mousemonkey said:
The real question is "how long should I ban you for?"

Baahaha a newbie noob correct mousemonkey that is classic..

Wish I was Wealthy he is right stop all the dumb smileys its annoying to look at.

To the OP Mousemonkey is right should not be a problem at all.
Score
February 25, 2011 12:51:08 PM

Best answer selected by ron_44.
Score
February 25, 2011 12:55:24 PM

Okay so with more time on my hands I decided to use the E6800 with my ASUS P5W DH Deluxe mother board and yes it does work !! :bounce:  Only small problem I experienced was the fan that came with the CPU was junk. After adding a Rocketfish Fan and Cooler was my performance as advertised. The Bios recognized the new CPU and Windows 7 worked without a problem whatso ever. Great feedback thanks much

Ron :hello: 
Score
a b à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 25, 2011 2:43:03 PM

You're most welcome and thank you for the BA.
Score
!