rigm0r

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Hi!
I built a computer some years ago. It worked like a charm until some months ago. No matter what i do, i can't get display from the 8800gt! Only the built in vga works.
I tried these things:

* Updated the MoBo BIOS
* Selected pci-e as default graphics
* Used an adaptor from 2 12v contacts (?) instead of the pci-e cord
* Tried other RAM's
* Tried starting outside the case
* Replaced the MoBo
* Tried starting with just 1 memory stick
* Tried starting without the HDD
* Updated MoBo bios
* Did a CMOS reset
* Tested the voltage on the PSU

I tried the graphics card in another system and got display. I think i feel some heat from the 8800gt when the system is powered up. It's hard to feel since i have great passive cooling on it.
All temperatures on the system is OK. (no hardware peaks more than 45c load)

What could be the problem? Could the PSU suddenly become worn out and lower the wattage?

My system:
AMD x2 6000+
ASUS M2A-VM
OCZ platinum (?) 2x1gb
Samsung spinpoint 500gb
Linksys 8800gt 512mb
Corsair VX 450W
Windows 7

rigm0r

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Yes probably. If I'm not wrong, the video card use to beep or send warnings to windows when it's under-powered? It beeps when i plug it out and send me warnings when i forgot the cable once (when it was working). I'll write back as soon as I've tried another PSU

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Seems the obvious guess is the card died. If you've got a PC speaker, you should get BIOS beep codes when you attempt to boot with it installed. And if it's 1-long and 2-short beeps, that indicates a VGA problem. Considering you've tried every alternative other than installing a different card, either the card is dead, or the PCI-E slots on two different motherboards are dead. Which seems more likely, 1 card or two motherboards?

You could try the card in a different machine, but I don't think you'll get a positive result.

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Not saying the card isnt dead just think I would try all my options before I asume its one component or another.
If the Video card did work in another computer and the PSU dont fix it then the motherboard is bad.

rigm0r

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Actually i replaced the motherboard twice. Got some other issues with the board, so i returned it. Got a refurbished that had other issues including the graphics issue. Now my 3rd motherboard seems to be new, but the video doesn't work on that card either... Three motherboards can't have the same problem?

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010

You said you tried the card it in another system and it worked.

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
That leaves the motherboard or PSU and if the PSU dont work it is the the motherboard. 3 with the same problem is hard to believe but it happens. A couple of years ago I had a problem on a Gigabyte board and went through 2 with the same problem before I got a good one.

rigm0r

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Yes i did. And i got display. Didn't do any benchmarks or anything, but i got display.
The only thing I can think of is that the PSU gets lower wattage by time? Or am I wrong?
I get no signals or sounds from the mobo or graphics when i boot. When i unplug the pci-e cable it starts beeping. Do i have to have something plugged to "system speaker" in the mobo to hear it or is it enough with normal headphones?

rigm0r

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
will do tomorrow. My neighbor has a computer with a broken mobo. I bet he doesn't need that comp right now.
I'll report when i've tested it.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
My mistake. When I read it earlier I thought you said you got no display in a different system.

An answer to your PSU question - Yes, they can lose power output over time. Capacitors do age and gradually weaken. I've seen estimates of roughly 5% loss per year of use. But aside from an expected gradual weakening, other problems can arise.

I can only suggest two things to try besides your intended PSU exchange and test.

1. Make sure the contacts on the card are clean. You can use rubbing alcohol (80% or higher concentration is preferred) and Q-tip to do this, or a pencil eraser. With an eraser, make sure no shavings remain behind.
2. Check the PCI-E slot for obstruction, as well as bent or missing contact pins. Consider blowing it out with compressed air.

rigm0r

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Hi Bandit!
I just tested the voltage on the PSU, but did not have enough tools to test the wattage. I will try with another PSU when i recieve my friend's spare parts.
I've actually tested these things on the graphics card with an eraser. If i come across rubbing alcohol I'll try that too. I don't think it's the slot since it's a brand new motherboard, but I'll check that too.
Thanks for the help so far!

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Multimeter voltage tests on a PC PSU are pretty much worthless. The PSU has self-correcting circuitry that adjusts voltages far faster than any multimeter can read them. Plus, a single multimeter can only monitor one voltage at a time, while a PSU has 5 simultaneous output voltages.

What really needs to be done to test a PSU is a series of controlled load tests, where power output across all output voltages is monitored while power is being drawn from the PSU. But, that can't be done unless you have access to equipment that can do that, which most people simply don't.

What I'm getting at is there isn't much you can do yourself to actually "test" the PSU. But, if swapping another one in allows this card to work in your system while the old one doesn't, then something is definitely wrong with the old one and it's time to call Corsair for an RMA.

Good luck with the swap.

rigm0r

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Hi again folks!
My friend said he had a 500w PSU. Unfortuneately it was only 300W = alot too weak!
I tried it in his system and it didn't work with his PSU. I also tested his PCI-e powered graphics in my computer and it worked. So my guess right now is that the card demands more watts. Could this be the final solution? As i said befor the card worked in another friend's 500w system, but I tested that months ago.

rigm0r

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
ok folks. I tried both the graphics and PSU on another computer. Both worked fine, even together. So this is my conclusion: The PSU's wattage is much lower than retail. The system i tested on had a basic configuration: 1 low-wattage operton, 1 ddr, 1 HDD, and so on.
Should i call for an RMA to corsair?
As i said before, everything else is tested. A weaker graphics card (gf 6600) worked in my computer.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Let's try some deductive reasoning...

Your PSU and card work together in the 2nd system, but not in your own. But, his CPU draws less power. That means either your motherboard is flaky, or the PSU isn't capable of the same power output it once was.

We have two given factors:
1. The Sempron CPU draws less power than the X2 6000+
2. The 6600GT draws less power than the 8800GT.

With each tested combination, you end up with one part (CPU or GPU) drawing less power than it's counterpart from the other system. Essentially, you're balancing the two systems when you swap the cards, actually getting them both to draw nearly the same amount of power. Each combination like that works just fine. The only combo that maximizes your power draw is when the 8800GT is paired with the X2 6000+ in your system, and that fails.

That would lead me to believe the output capacity of the VX450 has dropped. So yeah, I'm thinking it's the PSU.

rigm0r

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
I really hope it is. I've been trying to fix this computer for months now.
The last thing i want to try before sending back the PSU is testing the combination 8800gt, 6000+ with a hi-wattage PSU (if i can find somebody with a desktop computer these days). If that works i'm a happy man.
Thanks for the help!

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Just call Corsair and tell them everything you've already tried. Considering how much troubleshooting you've done, I don't think they'll offer any new suggestions. It's likely they will come to the same conclusion I did.

That 450VX should be able to power the system, but it can't. So, there's something wrong with it.