Sign in with
Your question

HDTV doesn't recognize my new build

Last response: in Systems
November 19, 2010 12:09:49 AM

I'm sure there's a simple solution to this problem, but I can't find an answer anywhere...

I've got my first build all up and running (whew!), but now that I'm ready to check the BIOS settings and install the OS, I can't because the HDTV that I was planning on using as a monitor isn't recognizing the computer.

I'm using a HDMI cable to connect from the TV (HDMI1 slot in the back) to connect to the HDMI slot (using an adapter, into the GPU slot for said adapter). When I switch to HDMI1 on the television, it just says "No Signal!"

Am I just doing something simple wrong? Everything I've read, including the GPU User's Manual, makes it seem like you just connect the cable and you're all set. Is there some kind of setting I have to change within the system? If so, that'll be difficult because I have no means of seeing what I'm doing without a monitor!! I've gone through the settings on the TV and there's nothing to be done on that end.

Please help!

More about : hdtv recognize build

November 19, 2010 1:22:14 AM

Does the PC work with a computer monitor? You need to isolate if it's a TV issue or the computers video output issue.

If the video doesn't work on a PC monitor:
Run this checklist, don't skip any steps. If you still are having trouble let us know.
m
l
November 19, 2010 1:58:22 AM

cmcghee358 said:
Does the PC work with a computer monitor? You need to isolate if it's a TV issue or the computers video output issue.

Herein lies the problem: I don't have a decent monitor to check it with. I hauled my current monitor downstairs (quite a task -- this thing's like 13 years old) and then realized that there's not even a 15-pin slot on my new rig. I have an 15-pin/DVI adapter that came with the GPU and I tried using that, but to no avail. However, that really doesn't tell me whether that it's the computer or not.

As for the GPU, I know that it's getting power because the fan is running on it.

Other than finding someone who has a monitor I can borrow, or buying a handful of different cables to try out, I'm at a loss of what to do.
m
l
!