computer versus playstation

pascal

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2004

Can anybody tell me the difference in quality between

- a recent computer stuffed with a recent graphic card playing a modern 3D
game (like unreal)
- a playstation 2 playing a modern game, connected to a computermonitor by a
VGA-box?

I'm a fanatic pc-gamer, but a friend of mine (had a few problems with his
computer), now wants to by a playstation II because he's tired of the
pc-troubles he had (and not beeing a pc-expert, he always need help when
there is another problem with his pc)

I'm not shure what advise I should give the guy, because I have no
experiance with a game-console.

Pascal

Some side by side differences of a console and pc
console no real upgrade path, other than to buy a new console
pc completely upgradeable

console, might require a minute amount of brain juice to operate
pc will require some reading and comprehension

console, games come as is...no mod's
pc games usually are encouraged to be modded, at least the good ones

consoles, u can play games, watch a movie, listen to music
pc, play games, make games, watch a movie, make a movie, edit a movie,
listen to music, make music, edit music, etc...

thats a short list, the comparison would go on forever, but basically if yer
a dumbass, can't read and comprehend ( almost all software for the pc has
instructions ) then the console is where u belong with all the dambed kids
that infest it's community like a friggin bacterial infection. If u want to
be able to do ALOT more, and reading and comprehension is not an obstacle
the PC is where it's at, or Mac...

...Syn...

pascal

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2004

"Visceral_Syn" <someone@somewhere.com> schreef in bericht
> Some side by side differences of a console and pc
> console no real upgrade path, other than to buy a new console
> pc completely upgradeable
>
> console, might require a minute amount of brain juice to operate
> pc will require some reading and comprehension
>
> console, games come as is...no mod's
> pc games usually are encouraged to be modded, at least the good ones

But what about the difference in quality? Visual quality I mean.

Pascal

ps2 visual quality is stuck in the technology it was made with, that was
made like what? 3 or 4 years ago. Video Card visual quality changes with
driver updates, which can happen a coupla times a year, not to mention newer
technology that hits the shelves every 6 months or so.

...Syn...

Andrew

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:39:00 GMT, "Pascal" <pst10@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Can anybody tell me the difference in quality between
>
>- a recent computer stuffed with a recent graphic card playing a modern 3D
>game (like unreal)
>- a playstation 2 playing a modern game, connected to a computermonitor by a
>VGA-box?

The PS2 looked like a medium spec PC when it was released 3-4 years
ago. A modern PC is light years ahead now.

>I'm not shure what advise I should give the guy, because I have no
>experiance with a game-console.

If he doesn't mind playing dumbed down games with a jack of all trades
controller, then go for it. If he likes playing FPS games, he will be
disappointed.

> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:39:00 GMT, "Pascal" <pst10@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Can anybody tell me the difference in quality between
>>
>>- a recent computer stuffed with a recent graphic card playing a modern 3D
>>game (like unreal)
>>- a playstation 2 playing a modern game, connected to a computermonitor by
>>VGA-box?
>
> The PS2 looked like a medium spec PC when it was released 3-4 years
> ago. A modern PC is light years ahead now.
>
>>I'm not shure what advise I should give the guy, because I have no
>>experiance with a game-console.
>
> If he doesn't mind playing dumbed down games with a jack of all trades
> controller, then go for it. If he likes playing FPS games, he will be
> disappointed.

Not to mention the fact that you can download tons of new maps, mods, etc to
keep the games fresh and fun for much longer.

pascal

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2004

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> schreef in bericht
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:39:00 GMT, "Pascal" <pst10@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Can anybody tell me the difference in quality between
>
> If he doesn't mind playing dumbed down games with a jack of all trades
> controller, then go for it. If he likes playing FPS games, he will be
> disappointed.
> --

Thanks, I will send him this threat.

Pascal.

You can buy a new playstation 2 for less than a decent PC graphics card
costs on its own these days. Doesn't that tell you something about the
quality of the graphics in the PS2? It is using a chip 3-4 years old, maybe
more now. I have a PS" and it has sat gathering dust for the last 2.5 years.
I also have an Xbox. With an Xbox you can mod it and do a lot more with it
like stick a big HDD in there, copy your games to it, play music, browser
the web, stream web radio etc.. Plus almost all games that go onto the Xbox
will also be made available for the PC.

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:12:26 -0800, "goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote:

>Not to mention the fact that you can download tons of new maps, mods, etc to
>keep the games fresh and fun for much longer.

You can't type up letters on a Playstation. Or edit videos or etc etc.

--

Julian Richards
usenet "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

Usenet is how from the comfort of your own living room, you can converse
with people that you would never want in your house.

Meltdown

Pascal enlightened us with:
> Can anybody tell me the difference in quality between
>
> - a recent computer stuffed with a recent graphic card playing a
> modern 3D game (like unreal)
> - a playstation 2 playing a modern game, connected to a
> computermonitor by a VGA-box?

PS2: Low resolution (stuck to 720x576 or even less using NTSC), but
high polygon count.

PC: High resolution, but usually often a lower polygon count

> I'm a fanatic pc-gamer, but a friend of mine (had a few problems
> with his computer), now wants to by a playstation II because he's
> tired of the pc-troubles he had (and not beeing a pc-expert, he
> always need help when there is another problem with his pc)

I've played on a PS2, but I can't stand it for very long. It's nice
for those Mortal Kombat type games, but not for FPS nor racing games.
For the first category you need better control, like a mouse and
keyboard. For both types of games you need a good vision, which you
just can't get on such a low resolution.

> I'm not shure what advise I should give the guy, because I have no
> experiance with a game-console.

Tell him to stop whining about the problems he has with his PC, fix
them (or learn how to fix them) and continue gaming. I'm guessing he's
using Windows. Just teach him he has to re-install it every 6 months
or so.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

WRONG!
Windows does not needto be re-installed every 6 months. If maintained
correctly it can last as long as you want it. i had a WinME install last 13
months. i'm currently on a Windows XP install thats beatin on 15 months. Yer
blind LINUX or nothing is pathetic sometimes.

...Syn...

pascal

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2004

"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> schreef in bericht
> Pascal enlightened us with:
>> Can anybody tell me the difference in quality between
>

> I've played on a PS2, but I can't stand it for very long. It's nice
> for those Mortal Kombat type games, but not for FPS nor racing games.
> For the first category you need better control, like a mouse and
> keyboard. For both types of games you need a good vision, which you
> just can't get on such a low resolution.

That's also my idea. And FPS and racing games is just what he wants, so...

But about racing games: do you rather steer on your keyboard (or with
mouse),
or do you prefer an extra tool like a joystick, a gamepad or a steering
wheel?

Pascal.

Andrew

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:41:16 GMT, "Pascal" <pst10@hotmail.com> wrote:

>But about racing games: do you rather steer on your keyboard (or with
>mouse),
>or do you prefer an extra tool like a joystick, a gamepad or a steering
>wheel?

For serious driving, you can't beat a good steering wheel.

Meltdown

Pascal enlightened us with:
> But about racing games: do you rather steer on your keyboard (or
> with mouse), or do you prefer an extra tool like a joystick, a
> gamepad or a steering wheel?

I prefer the keyboard. It lacks a bit of precision, but it makes up
for that in speed. With the keyboard, I can change steering directions
in a few milliseconds. Can't beat that with anything else.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

> I think you mean thread ;-)

No man, it's a threat...Get an effing PC or ELSE!

Andrew

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:29:28 +0100, MeltDown
<meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote:

>I prefer the keyboard. It lacks a bit of precision, but it makes up
>for that in speed. With the keyboard, I can change steering directions
>in a few milliseconds. Can't beat that with anything else.

*shudder* In Nascar Racing 2003 you are lucky if you can complete a
lap using a keyboard, never mind getting anywhere remotely close to a
competitive lap time.

shouldn't be too hard to turn left the whole friggin time. Nascar racing,
pardon me...turning left-racing isn't remotely quite as difficult as a good
F1 sim, or even a Saloon Car Racing Sim. Thats about as silly as saying Drag
racing with a keyboard is hard.

...Syn...
Racing is done with a Wheel!

Andrew

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:39:09 -0600, "Visceral_Syn"
<someone@somewhere.com> wrote:

>shouldn't be too hard to turn left the whole friggin time. Nascar racing,
>pardon me...turning left-racing isn't remotely quite as difficult as a good
>F1 sim, or even a Saloon Car Racing Sim. Thats about as silly as saying Drag
>racing with a keyboard is hard.

You haven't actually played Nascar Racing 2003 have you.

Meltdown

Visceral_Syn enlightened us with:
> don't need to, any chimpanzee can jump in a car designed to turn left the
> whole time and mash the gas. no skill, not real racing.

That's what people say about football (what Americans call soccer) as
well. "Everybody can kick a ball".

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Meltdown

Visceral_Syn enlightened us with:
> Windows does not needto be re-installed every 6 months. If maintained
> correctly it can last as long as you want it.

Let me quote the description of the computer owner in question:

"had a few problems with his computer"

"not beeing a pc-expert, he always need help when there is another
problem with his pc"

Does this sound like someone who can properly maintain a windows
computer? Hence my advice: reinstall every 6 months.

> i had a WinME install last 13 months. i'm currently on a Windows XP
> install thats beatin on 15 months.

Good for you.

> Yer blind LINUX or nothing is pathetic sometimes.

Now why did you have to drag Linux into this? I merely based my
comments on my personal experience with Windows (which is about 12
years of extensive use, both as a user and a programmer) and the
experience of people around me.

Someone who hasn't got the knowledge to properly manage a windows
computer has to reinstall every now and then to keep it running
smoothly. The existance of other operating systems has nothing to do
with that fact.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Andrew

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:23:36 +0100, MeltDown
<meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote:

>Does this sound like someone who can properly maintain a windows
>computer? Hence my advice: reinstall every 6 months.

That was the case wth Win9x, XP and 2000 are far more stable.

MeltDown wrote:
>> Windows does not needto be re-installed every 6 months. If maintained
>> correctly it can last as long as you want it.
>
> Let me quote the description of the computer owner in question:
>
> "had a few problems with his computer"
>
> "not beeing a pc-expert, he always need help when there is another
> problem with his pc"
>
> Does this sound like someone who can properly maintain a windows
> computer? Hence my advice: reinstall every 6 months.

Eh? Nowhere in the original post it says that he is talking about a
Windows machine. And, more importantly, nowhere it says that the
problems he is having are problems with the OS (whatever the OS is). You
are the one who jumped to both conclusions. While I'd agree that the
first one is pretty safe, the second one is a rather long shot, taking
into account the fact that various flavors of hardware problems are the
most likely source of problems in many (if not most gamers' machines)
and the "problems with Windows" are virtual non-existent these days.

And here you are trying to use your own guesses as facts supporting your
own statements. Practicing your demagogical skills, aren't we?

--
Best regards,
Andrey Tarasevich

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:31:02 +0000, Andrew wrote:

>>Does this sound like someone who can properly maintain a windows
>>computer? Hence my advice: reinstall every 6 months.

> That was the case wth Win9x, XP and 2000 are far more stable.

More stable (maybe), but just as susceptible to spyware, viruses, adware,
registry bloat, and general slowdown.

Linux Registered User #327951

Andrew

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:22:14 -0600, Dan C
<youmustbejoking@invalid.org> wrote:

>> That was the case wth Win9x, XP and 2000 are far more stable.
>
>More stable (maybe), but just as susceptible to spyware, viruses, adware,
>registry bloat, and general slowdown.

Maybe if you are dumb enough to use IE or OE. I am not and don't
suffer from any of those.