Tags:
  • Routers
  • Internet Connectivity
  • Internet Service Providers
  • 3Com
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
May 25, 2010 4:54:32 AM

I realized many my machine would randomly lose internet connectivity. At first I thought it was my ISP, but after multiple calls to them they suggested I bypass the router as a test. The issue was immediately resolved. After that I noticed that if take out the power cord and plug it back in (restart) the issue is immediately resolved.

BTW I have noticed that it mostly happends with big downloads, it's like it has a limit on the amount of data I can transfer in a row.

Can anyone please help? Thank you.

More about : 3com 3cr858 officeconnect requiring frequent reboots

May 25, 2010 7:19:46 PM

Make sure its not overheating for one.
Check and see if their is a firmware update for the router.
Try another router and see how things work.

May 26, 2010 4:46:07 PM

Thanks man! It was overheating.
Never thought a router that simple could overheat.
May 26, 2010 9:26:30 PM

Hello,

I have the same problem but my router isn't even noticeably warm to the touch. I updated the firmware from V1.08 to v1.15 and it did not make a difference.

Just to be sure the temperature is staying at a reasonable temperature, I taped a thermometer to the bottom of the router. It's hovering at about 75 degrees F, just about 6 degrees above my living-room temperature. Certainly not overheating.

Since the device was under warranty, I got a replacement unit from 3COM and the same thing happens with the replacement. I replied to their warranty department to tell them the replacement has the same problem and have yet to hear back.

Very frustrating.

I have a netgear wireless router also and I swapped that out for about 24 hours with no problems in connectivity whatsoever. I would continue using the netgear if it had more granular firewall controls, but I need to use the virtual server options so my Windows Home Server and Wireless Webcam are abailable from the web.

Any additional suggestions are certainly welcome. I am not using a switch, all of my computers are connected directly to the router.

Thanks,

Kelly
!