Looking for some insight. into new"ish" build.

TragicMagic81

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
I'll start off with a picture.

148407_10150335090620118_743655117_15693473_5473429_n.jpg

Thanks to the help of some guys in a few threads I had started. That, in the picture above, is what I've come up with for a basic build.

From my existing Acer M1100 Aspire tower I will be using: 320GB SATA HDD; DVD drive, 9-in-1 card reader, and the after market Thermaltake PurePower 500W PSU that I bought when I upgraded to a GeForce 8600GT a few years ago.

I can see no reason why these components wouldn't be compatible with the new board.

At the moment I have no intentions of over-clocking the CPU. I've never done anything of that nature. I did read, however, that it could be possible with this chip. If I did attempt it somewhere down the road, what would you suggest would be a good target?

This was originally just going to be a simple CPU and RAM upgrade. It's ballooned into something more expensive. I just want to ensure that I'm not making a grave error in judgment with the components I've pieced together thus far.

My last question is in regards to Windows 7. What version should I be looking at buying to replace Vista with? If I buy the OS, will it simply install itself over Vista? I want to ensure that it would work optimally.

Thanks again for all your guidance.

TragicMagic :D

p.s I was going to post up my CPUID pics so you'd know what I'm upgrading from, but I though better of it. If you want to know what my system in currently, you can find it by viewing my other threads, the info is posted there.

TragicMagic81

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
Batuchka, what does YMMV stand for? Would I notice an increase in performance by over-clocking to 3.6 or 3.7GHz? If it could be done rather easily, and without endangering the system as a whole, than I'd definitely consider it.

gkay09, I recently installed 4GB of 800MHz DDR2 PC-6400 in my current setup about two weeks ago. That ram replaced 2GB of PC2-5300, the difference in load times for Windows at start-up, for Photoshop CS3, and loading of games in Civ5, was vastly improved. I paid $114 CDN (before taxes) for that 4GB of Corsair "Gaming Memory".
The fact that 64-bit Windows 7 requires 2GB, was the reason I thought I'd upgrade to 8GB of DDR3. Its costs only $30 more than the 4 gigs I just bought. The mobo and OS allow for it, so I thought I'd incorporate it into the build.

Reaper2794, I am using my existing Acer tower. I don't think its large enough to house a standard ATX board.

I was hoping that the answers I got were detailed with a little explanation. As you know, there's a lot to research, and a endless amount of options and configurations. Adding more option to my list, without a basic reason as to why I would consider them, it gets overwhelming.

mattius92

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
For applications like Photoshop, you do want the extra ram. Photoshop eats up ram like crazy.

I say get rid of that GTS 450 and get a HD 5770, its a more powerful card, and it will help with your gaming and editing.

Also I would say get another core, so look into a Athlon II x4. More cores the better when it comes to photo and video editing/encoding, etc.

Yes u would - for best results and chasing highest clock possible then nab a decent air cooler for the chip ^^ YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary The net is rife with OC guides :lol:

TragicMagic81

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
Another package, a different picture.

75836_10150336352680118_743655117_15709746_8225494_n.jpg

As you can see, I changed things up a bit. I figure if I get a board that will utilize DDR2 ram, then I can add 4GB to the 4GB I already own. And save $ by not purchasing that 8GB of new DDR3. I shaved a few dollars off the price of the mobo. Put in the video card that has been suggested. And went with a quad-core CPU. What I'll save on the RAM allows for the better GPU and CPU, which is probably a wise decision on my part.

It ends up being a less expensive package, which I like.

Now I'm wondering how these would perform in relation to one another. How would triple-core and DDR3 perform, compared to quad-core and DDR2? The DDR3's, in general, appear to have higher latencies compared to the DDR2. I'm sure there is something the DDR3's possess that makes their higher latency a non-issue...? Anyone got a link that'll point me in the right direction to answer that question?

Thanks again guys.

By the time I have the money available to purchase a new setup, I'm sure I'll be going through this process again, but with new products that have come to market. I'm wondering if there is anything I should wait on?

The ram I put in my "Cart" is probably a stupid choice. Since my existing ram is only 800MHz PC6400, putting in PC2-8500 will be a waste. As I understand it, the mobo will only run ram at the lowest speed it recognizes.