CPU/motherboard limitations for XP Pro...

SimpleSymon

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I'm preparing to get PC with dual HDDs (one for XP Pro, one for Linux Mint) via custom-build shop, and require AMD brand CPU using x86 architecture. I was hoping for Phenom II x6 1055T (or 1090T), but was told at another forum that XP Pro would only run on Phenom II (x2, x3, or x4) or Athlon II (x2, x3, or x4), and then only on certain motherboards that support it. True or false? Also, how do I compile list of those specific motherboards?

This is why products ship with drivers, the motherboard handles the system interaction with the CPU so none of the software notices what its running on, and the motherboard drivers handle window's interactions with the motherboard so they work properly together, because of the Hardware Abstraction Layer XP has no idea if you are running a Pentium III or a Phenom II X6 1100T and it really doesnt care.

SimpleSymon

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

Sorry, I have to use XP Pro as it is what I taught myself on at public computers, and currently the only OS I can use, so I got no choice with this. I do have a choice as to whether on not I will continue to support Billie Gates/Microsoft. XP Pro is the first and last time either will benefit from my wallet. I will use whatever time XP Pro has left (before whatever causes it to go down in flames), to become equally comfortable with other OSs, and pick a couple to replace XP Pro when necessary.

SimpleSymon

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

So I'm assuming from what you said that Phenom II X6 will run XP Pro, and the only possible hangup is whether or not the motherboard has XP Pro drivers....so how do I compile list of which motherboards have those drivers? I've been on Gigabyte & Asus sites, and the lists of motherboards is such that I could be senile & drooling before I can go through each item, one by one. Any tips?

Almost all the ASUS and Gigabyte boards will likely have XP drivers, i just checked the ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme for an example of a new board, it has drivers for XP so that shouldnt be an issue. Pick a board for your build then go double check that it has chipset drivers for XP, it likely will.