trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Not sure where to put this, sorry if this is the wrong section. For a school project we are supposed to interview someone in a career field which interests us. I am looking into computer networking/support, but if you have any kind of computer IT job, you can help me out here. If you could answer these 10 questions it would help me out a lot so thanks ahead of time. Also, our teacher requires we have contact info for the person we interview, so if you would like to pm me your email, that would be great also. You can pm me the answers or post on here. Once again, thanks ahead of time!

1 - What is your current career in the IT field?
2 - What training/school was required to get into this career?
3 - Do you think you will ever have to return to school to continue working in your career?
4 - Describe the tasks you have to do each day.
5 - Are there any options to move up to higher positions in this career?
6 - What wages are earned in this career?
7 - Do you work with others or mostly alone?
8 - Do you feel that there's a high demand for this kind of job?
9 - Do you think this is a respectable field of work?
10 - How do you expect this career to change in the near future?

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
1. Network Operations Center Technician
2. None but an Accociates/Bachelors degree for IT, CIS, MIS would help
3. School, maybe. Training, definitely
4. Remote support for Avaya Voice solutions. Building/staging/prepping Intuity voicemail systems
5. Yes, learn as much as possible and keep getting as many certifications as possible
6. Anywhere from $32,000 (entry level) to $150,000 (upper management)
7. I work with others every day since i started here 3 years ago
8. Absolutely, and it will only get better as the technology progresses/changes
9. Yes
10. It will only change based on the technology progression, my job is to keep up with it.

PM me if you want my email address.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Contract Consultant for Worldwide Financial Firm - Platform Ops (servers) dept - Backups and Restores.
Also: IT, Help Desk and all around computer guy for 5 small 2-5 person offices/businesses plus various home users.

Only classes for Certificates - all the rest was on-the-job and still is.

3 - Do you think you will ever have to return to school to continue working in your career?
Only if required for a certificate. I did my Associates in Business Admin - because any computer stuff taught in every classroom I've been in has been 3-5 generations behind.

Ensure backups succeed in a 300+ server environment. Track off-site storage of tape media. Also run Restores when required.
For part time job: Phone support for small stuff, on-site for everything else computer related. Hardware, networking (including internet and remote access), software installation and upgrading/updating. Network Printing and shared folders access.

Yes - as much as I want to work, I can find it. (Full time job is for benefits and 401k)

$42k, plus $2k-$10k depending on how well the other clients businesses are doing and whether they can afford/want to upgrade, when/if things break.

Full time: Full office with 10+ just in my dept. with 200+ in local office. But I also cover the weekend shift, so some days I am all alone. I actually like both.

Yes, because no matter how most companies are doing - they need their data and programs. Some of the smaller ones string it along until the vendor no longer support their product and they "must" upgrade, but most people I know don't want to have to "learn" another professions on top of their own "just" to be able to work - so they need IT guys/gals.

Absolutely!!!!

There will be no resting on your laurels with this field. You MUST - and that's a HUGE MUST - keep abreast of what's going on out there with not only the hardware tech, but also the software tech (even if you don't program, you still need to know what's going on). I learn more from sites like this, along with a lot of trade eMagazines and websites, that I even learned in a classroom. Moore's Law doesn't just apply to the hardware tech - it applies to those of us that work on it too.

PM me if you need my personal's.

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Computer Forensics
I am currently working on my Doctorates
Yes.... but not much
Fly everywhere... We reconstruct drives, legally hack stuff... the hours are horrible.... most of the time I am on my laptop/phone when I am on Toms...
Yes.... There are... but it depends if you can get the Security Clearance.
hrrr, depends... entry is around 80k US... I make around 600k US
Both, we work in teams on some stuff... Usually if I am "alone" I have a Sergeant to run errands if needed
Please, I have gone for months without ever going home...
depends, some of the stuff isn't.... some is...
hrrrr not really..

Edit: PM me if you have any Questions.... or need anything else.