Sign in with
Your question

GPU Capacitor went KaBOOM!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 26, 2010 4:09:59 AM

My capacitors on my GPU blew out today but I already have a new GPU on the way. (Lucky me!) Im upgrading from GeForce GT8600 to HD5700, I was just wondering if i needed to upgrade me PSU due to the capacitor blowing up. I have cheked everything and seems to be fine with PSU and the mobo

I open'd the Desktop right afterward, and the Card was hot as hell? just trying to firgure out couple of things! What shall I ever do?

My PSU

Please and thanks in advance!

Ohh also i was wondering if i should still take it out and not use my Desktop (kind of hard not to i need my Solidswork and ACad for my ENR work)

P.S. Note to self, dont run Crysis and Acad at the same time

Thanks a buch!

More about : gpu capacitor kaboom

a c 169 U Graphics card
September 26, 2010 4:22:23 AM

lmao when i saw the title of this, capacitor blowing like that is unusual, but funny! lucky you you get to upgrade now! that psu is plenty for a 5770. you could run a 768mb gtx460 for a bit extra though.
a c 189 U Graphics card
September 26, 2010 4:35:20 AM

That PSU should handle HD5770 just fine, but faulty/bad PSU can make the capacitor went "Ka-BOOM"...
Still on warranty? Then you can RMA your PSu, just for safety...
Related resources
September 26, 2010 4:36:09 AM

Humor gota have it!

But yes with that take care of,

1) Should i start my computer?
2) If i can start the computer can i run it wihtout the GPU?
3) My new card arrives in 3 days(they should ship during the weekend I say we are in recession the people of US should not take weekends off! haha) but yeah should I start the computer and uninstall the drivers before I install the new card.
4) ...? I dont know what to do for 3 days now

But yeah the card got a lil hot I say and it went out in fashion, clam and quite without taking my Mobo and any other parts. Good thing!

Thanks in bunchies!
September 26, 2010 4:38:48 AM

wa1 said:
That PSU should handle HD5770 just fine, but faulty/bad PSU can make the capacitor went "Ka-BOOM"...
Still on warranty? Then you can RMA your PSu, just for safety...

Yeah I know but I dont have any other way of testing it? And no not under warranty anymore, I made this desktop for Solidworks and Autocad like 5years ago lol.. my GPU was so badass then its a piece of dudu
a c 189 U Graphics card
September 26, 2010 4:51:49 AM

So, this PSU is 5 years old?
If yes, then it's a good time to upgrade it...
September 26, 2010 4:58:10 AM

Aye aye! Already on it sir, should I start the computer though?
a c 189 U Graphics card
September 26, 2010 5:04:20 AM

Well, if you have onboard graphic on the motherboard then you can run your PC without dedicated card...
a c 189 U Graphics card
September 26, 2010 5:14:29 AM

^
That's what I called "PSU", okay get that PSU.
You can't run your computer without GPU, so wait until your card arrived and install that card. Just make sure you buy that PSU first... :) 
September 26, 2010 5:25:59 AM

Aye Aye
Thanks brosif. So no starting the computer till then huh?
a c 189 U Graphics card
September 26, 2010 5:35:00 AM

Yeah, there's nothing you can do without graphic card unless you have onboard, well since you doesn't have it then just wait until your card arrives...
!