When i shutdown, fans stay on.

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
A few days ago, I turned off my pc like I do every time I'm finished. But to my surprise the fans stayed on.

I have no idea what could be making it do this, so I came to ask you people.

Which fans are on? The fans being on would indicate to me that the PSU is still outputting on at least the 12V rail. Are these fans connected directly to the PSU or through the motherboard? If through the motherboard that means that the motherboard has an issue.

Did the fans stop on their own or did they keep going until you pulled the plug?

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Yes, I can tell the difference between "shutdown" and "sleep". It shuts down as usual, goes into black screen and just keeps the fans running. They only stopped after i pulled the plug. I updated my BIOS not so long ago, can't be that.

Currently got no idea what it is, but I'm gonna open it up tomorrow and see if it's a loose connection or whatever, you never know.

EDIT: I could hold down the power button till it "really" turned off, including the fans.

It sure sounds like you're going to sleep/hibernate or some other low power mode. "Really" turning it off by holding the power button is exactly the same as normal "off". Check your Windows Power settings/BIOS to see what the Power button is configured to do on your computer.

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Just sounds odd that it should of changed, considering that I didn't change it.

Also, I tried pushing the power button once yesterday, and the computer shutdown perfectly with fans off and everything. It's just when i click the "shutdown" button that it screws up.

TRENDING THREADS