Best Storage for Video Editing

construction65

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hey Everyone
I'm building a video editing machine and need some external storage for all my files.
I need at least 3TB and I need to be sure that if a HDD fails I will have all my data. I have researched Raid Setups but am not sure between RAID 10,5,1. :eek: I am hoping for it to be not that expensive as I have by no means unlimited budget. £400-£500 is pushing it. I'm probally being stupid saying that but oh well. An opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance :)

Mr Davo

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hi,

I recommend a RAID 10 setup - this gives you increased speed whilst also ensuring maximum data integrity. If you were to setup the RAID array in your computer (assuming that your motherboard supports RAID), this would be the cheapest option. However if you are looking for external storage I suggest a Buffalo LinkStation NAS.

As one final note I have personally setup RAID 0 on two SSD drives in my workstation. Whilst I get close to 800 Mbps read / write speeds I can't generally tell the difference between having SSDs in RAID and not having them in RAID (having come from a single SSD). However if you want break neck speeds an SSD is definitely the way to go - though you should note that certain RAID setups (RAID 10 in particular) are not an option. In this case you would perform an automatic backup (using RoboCopy or similar) to an External Drive on a daily basis (through Task Scheduler).

Kind Regards,

Davo

Mr Davo

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Fortunately your motherboard does support the RAID modes that your interested in - this lifted from the Gigabyte product page:

GA-Z77X-UD5H

GA-Z77X-UD5H_RAID_info.JPG

Your next port of call is the product manual for your motherboard where you can learn how to setup RAID - the bad news is that you probably need to reinstall everything...

FireWire2

Distinguished
The bad news is with your MB raid you are running Software RAID - it is very iffy

Linux folks call FAKE-RAID.

The recovery seem to be. Before you commit to it

Do some test

1_ Build / Create your raid
2_ Check the speed
3_ Check the the resilient of the RAID, by remove a drive - failing it
To see how easy it is to rebuilt and manage

The whole test thing may cost you 3hrs but saves you a major headache
If it works great, if not move to next solution

Take the advises but check it out yourself

Mr Davo

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hi Guys,

Whilst technically this is software RAID, it does occur at the BIOS "level", as a result as far as Windows is concerned RAID is being used, and one drive will be seen when multiple drives are in fact installed.

With regard to performance, you are looking at a 80 - 90% performance improvement, in an ideal world the data rate to the hard drives would be double, but in effect it isn't quite that good.

Rebuilding is simply a matter of replacing the suspect drive (with RAID 1 & 10), or kissing all your data goodbye (in the case of RAID 0!). I personally recommend installing the Intel Matrix RAID program, this runs in the task bar; it gives details about the health of the RAID array, and makes rebuilding arrays a relatively easy task.

One final note; this is GOLD! - Label your motherboard SATA ports, SATA cables and drives with letters or numbers, e.g. Put "1" or "a" onto the first drives motherboard SATA port, both ends of the SATA cable, and the drive itself. This way when it comes to making changes if you won't be accidentally connecting drives to incorrect SATA ports, and this is a huge issue!!!

I hope that this information helps in making a decision. Of course - again; the performance improvement afforded by an SSD should never be underestimated (with SSDs becoming affordable, RAID (at least as a performance increaser) is increasingly becoming irrelevant!).

Kind Regards,

Davo

RAID 0 with 2 x Samsung SSD

AS-SSD-Benchmark.JPG

construction65

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
thanks for your comments, I have a few queries though.
Mr Davo: What does the Intel Matrix RAID program do, and is it free?
FireWire2: That sounds like a very clever idea, do I have to add at least one file to it before I check it's resilence. Also how would I know it it works or not? Thanks.

Is WD BLACK better for raid Than Seagate Barracuda, do either of you have any experience of these drives thanks.

FireWire2

Distinguished

RAID0 is for speed, no protection and no load to host CPU, where RAID5 is protected by parity portion which need to process, in turn using CPU power/time

To test the resilient of the RAID5, while copying a file, remove a drive.
The copying process SHOULD continue, and the speed should not drop 50%. It's some what slower
Wait for 10~15 seconds - Reinsert the removed drive back in.
It should rebuilt and able to copying files at the same time

construction65

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

20 drives :O
Whats the difference between black and green???