Sign in with
Your question

Building a new PC...

Tags:
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
February 14, 2011 1:08:19 AM

Hi there, I really hope someone can help, as this is something i cant wait to get started.

Just to add:
I was going to post this on another section, however the "Sub-category" didn't apply to my post! So this seems more like it!
If my post gets moved can someone PLEASE tell me where they move it too! As this is my second thread as my first thread was moved when i was in hospital and now i cant find it! :/ 

My current PC is old and starting to break! In a big way! Not going into massive detail, but it needs replacing.

I will be taking with me to my new system the following items from my current setup:
250 Gig WD Sata HDD
1 TB WD Ext HDD
CD/RW Drive (But will upgrade at a later date)

I need a lot of help, so if you do reply, please be prepared to help me in-depth as its been a long time since iv built a system, and it seems a great deal has changed.

My budget is not massive, however, if the parts will last for years to come then i will consider spending a bit more on them. I plan on spending my money at ebay or other sites which are decently priced.

In sections:

Motherboard AND PSU:
My current board is: Amethyst-M 200 RS480. (Support a single core AMD 3200+ 2GHZ, Yes i know!!!)
USB ports on the front and rear of the PC, simple networking aswell as onboard audio / graphics.

I need a board which i can have front and rear usb. Gigabyte LAN (RJ45), onboard audio and maybe onbaord graphics. But i plan on investing in a decent PCI-E x16 V2 + Graphics Card. So the board will have to support that aswell.

I don't want a motherboard which will cost me hundred of pounds. I just want something which will meet my needs and can have stuff added to it to make it better one day.

Processor:
Dual Core or Quad. Something which can handle hard online gaming and occasional graphic design using Cinema 4D, Photoshop, Sony Vegas etc etc.
Online gaming as in Warcraft.

Iv heard the i7 is wicked, but my budget doesnt go that far! Iv also heard that buying an i5 then overclocking it makes it seem like its an i7. I really dont want to overclock anything! As we all know what that does! lol

So il need help with choosing one of these :) 

RAM:
I have no idea about this. I think il be looking for DDR3 ?? Il need 4gig, with the option to add more later on.

Graphics Card:
Right. This is something im willing to put my money into.
I really like PCI-E. Iv noticed that the new one to go for is x16 interface! Whatever that means! Aswell as SLI / Crossfire compatible. But, the most important factor. I have 2 19" wide screens currently connected to my pc. I cant stand using a single screen. So, Dual DVI is a must!

The screens i have are Acer P193W. Not HDMI, just the normal ones, but i have adapters for HDMI and the intention to trade these for a nice bigger single screen... one day!

The "rest" i can figure out for myself.

Thank you, and i REALLY look forward to a reply :) 

Gary

More about : building

February 14, 2011 3:05:20 AM

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 ($140)
Mainboard: MSI 890FXA-GD65 ($150)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 2x2GB kit ($50)
Graphics: Palit NE5X56TS1102-1140F GTX 560 Ti Sonic 1GB (factory overclocked to 900/1800/4200) ($260) for pretty good gaming performance OR Palit NE5X570SF10DA GTX 570 Sonic 1280MB (factory overclocked to 750/1500/3900) ($360) for near top of the line single-GPU gaming performance.
Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-750TX ($110) (has four PCIe power cables for SLI)

Onboard graphics suck. For modern games, they perform like crap. Discrete cards are pretty much required.
February 16, 2011 4:59:46 AM

Guy's / Girl's,

You have literally made my day's :) 

I will check over this later when i have more time. Also someone replied to my rant about loosing my original thread and this person had found it!!! But, the more opinions are better, cause then it gives me more to sit down and work out.

I am very grateful for your replies guys, Thank You :) 

Il let you know how it goes :) 
February 16, 2011 4:50:58 PM

Quote:
whats your budget? Newegg dont ship to the UK

Well, some financial things have recently came up! SO my budget is less than i originally planned. I wanted to spend around £500 over the next few months!

And ye, i already noticed that they don't ship to the uk. Although tiger do, and there is always ebay etc :) 
!