Windows XP Install Locks Up

stryker115

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
Every time I try to upgrade WinXP Pro over my existing Win ME install, it gets to the part where it restarts the computer and says "Press F6 to install a RAID driver" blah blah... and then brings up the logo with the scrolling bar. Then, everytime the screen goes black and never comes back, and requires me to hit the reset button to restart it. Tried "clean booting", only things active when installing were:

Athlon T-Bird 1 GHz
256 MB DDR RAM
56X CD-ROM Drive
VisionTek GeForce 2 MX 200

The system runs great (relatively) under Win ME... and this is a pretty new ME install - the only thing I haven't tried is a clean install. Is there any way I don't have to do that? I would like to keep what I have on this comp, and I'm worried the clean install won't work anyway. Thanks in advance.

captcaper

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2001
hi
I have the same video card and that was what did it. I would use another video card and then once it's running try yours in there for it to detect and install it. Thats what we did. I've had alot of problems with sound and sound cards. Every time I click with the mouse I get a scratching sound or static type click. Scary.

G

Whenever using any MS OS, I would strongly encourage you to format and do a clean install. It'll make a world of difference. Try and back up the other stuff you need then reinstall. It'll make your machine run better in the end. It's like painting over old paint, it'll eventially start to peel & chip, but if you scrape off the old paint first, the new paint will last a whole lot longer before it starts to chip.

G

As some people have already mentioned, it's your video card that's hosing up the install. I just put a new Geforce2 MX400 64mb video card in my system along with an Abit KT7A mobo and an Athlon XP 1600+. Went I tried to reinstall XP on my system it would lock up every time just a few minutes into the install. I decided to install 98 and then do XP as an upgrade, same result.

HOWEVER, when I took out the Geforce2 card and put my old TNT card back in, XP installed without a hitch. After it's completely installed you can then put the new card in and XP will recognize it fine, but evidently XP has a prob with newer vid cards during the install...