Sign in with
Your question

Setting up a school server

Last response: in Systems
November 19, 2010 11:27:21 AM

My school is in need of a new server. We have been quoted around £4700 and looking at it, it is much more power than we need. I have searched and found I can build a very similar spec server for less than half.

Can you advise if you think buying and building a school server is a sensible option. I have experience in building home pc's and what not, but ive never built a server, I cant really imagine much difference.

Dean.

More about : setting school server

November 20, 2010 9:30:44 PM

There really isn't enough information here for anyone to comment. Questions to ask would be:

What is the server going to be used for?
What are the specs you were quoted for?
Why do you think it's more power than you need? How much power do you think you'll need?
How big is the school? Will the server be serving all faculty, staff, and students, or just the faculty or staff?
a b B Homebuilt system
November 21, 2010 3:35:36 AM

Setting up the server will be the hardest part. Building it physically is the same as building a regular computer, because they're basically the same parts.
Related resources
November 21, 2010 4:18:30 AM

Depends on the management of the school. I work in an environment that likes to play the blame game. I always go for the Dell, HP, IBM, whatever with the extended warranty just to avoid all the political BS(they're willing to pay for it). If you have a good boss that understands you could save a bit of money with a self built server and something could go wrong, but you'll fix it with a little extra cost. Then you're probably OK.
November 21, 2010 5:40:02 AM

Like calinkula is saying, a big part of it is the level of service you get after you purchase the server. These things normally run 24/7, so it's nice to know that if a part dies or you run in to any issues help is just a phone call away. Often it's worth the money for the addt'l warranty, but everyone has different situations.
!