Sign in with
Your question

Recommendations on new setup.

Last response: in Systems
November 19, 2010 2:47:05 PM

I currently have a Dell XPS 435MT, w/ i7 920, 6GB DDR3 1066mhz RAM, 2x OCZ SSD 30GB Vertex-Raid 0, GTX 580 w/ 750 Corsair PSU, and the system screams but am looking for going that extra mile.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTL_JtvhT1w
I am currently interested in the setup above... I am ordering a i7 970 (no need for comment on price as I am getting this for almost free), and obviously need some more upgrades.
First off instead of the Gigabyte, I was looking into the ASUS P6X58D MB, an H50 cooler, and possibly new RAM (OCZ 2000MHZ 6GB Kit). That and possibly a 160 intel SSD X25-M as 60gb for me isn't enough. Or add another 30 GB SSD. I currently get about 450MB read speeds and 7.4 WEI(Windows Experience Index for HDD) ...
Any opinions on i7 970 with H50 cooler (i know the H70 is just 'a little' better), but get these deals through where I work...
I also plan on overclocking to 4GHZ as this seems fast enough at stable temps with that cooler...
Also in the video, what digital thermometer is that? any other recommendations or better ones? I am a newbie at overclocking so will it be neccessary for the new RAM, or stick with the tri 6GB, at 1066 MHZ???

Note, doing all this because I am tired of Dells stock motherboard, slow RAM, and now its getting BSOD on cold starts (Machine Check Exception) possibly leading to CPU failure....

More about : recommendations setup

a b B Homebuilt system
November 20, 2010 4:59:43 AM

No go on the H50 cooler - If you pay attention to his video you will notice that not only is his processor only running at tops 1% that it is also only running at 1.5 to 1.7 GHz, (1500 to 1700 MHz). That cooler will never be able to keep your processor cool enough to overclock to 4.0 GHz. What other coolers can you get a deal on at work?
My guess that it's this fan controller that you're looking at when you watch that video.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 20, 2010 5:22:34 AM

chris13002 said:
First off instead of the Gigabyte, I was looking into the ASUS P6X58D MB, an H50 cooler,

Old board. Cooler's a gimmick

For MoBo's choose between the P6X58D-E, Rampage II Extreme and Sabertooth

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|13-131-641^13-131-641-TS%2C13-131-665^13-131-665-TS%2C13-131-642^13-131-642-TS

As to the coolers, any of the top 3 will suffice and outperforms the H series coolers.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

DDR3-2000 won't do anything for you if you are not using LN2. Reading this, you will see that it really offers no advantage

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/07/19/intel-...

Quote:
Overclocking

While the i7-970 may only be slightly slower than the i7-980X EE out of the box, it’s a whole new game when it comes to overclocking. This is because while the i7-980X EE is an absolute beast, hitting 4.4GHz on air, we were only able to overclock the i7-970 from 3.2GHz to 4GHz.

While this isn’t a bad overclock, and did boost performance considerably, it’s a much worse overclock than the i7-980X EE. In fact, this result makes the i7-970 one of the worst Core i-series CPUs for overclocking that we've seen.

The overclock of the i7-970 was achieved by dropping the CPU multiplier to 20x and raising the QPI to 200MHz. We overclocked in this way so that we could run our RAM at its optimum 1,600MHz frequency. However, no amount of fiddling with the QPI bus or the multiplier, or the various voltages of out motherboard could get the CPU to run stably beyond 4GHz. To stabilise the overclock we boosted the vcore to 1.38125V, the CPU PLL to 1.96V, the QPI to 1.375V, the IOH to 1.3V and the ICH to 1.2V.

I'd go with a 120 GB Vertex 2

Quote:
Note, doing all this because I am tired of Dells stock motherboard, slow RAM, and now its getting BSOD on cold starts (Machine Check Exception) possibly leading to CPU failure....

Sounds like a reinstall of the O and gifting box to Aunt Tillie for e-mail would be the way to go and start completely fresh.
m
l
Related resources
November 20, 2010 12:01:49 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Old board. Cooler's a gimmick

For MoBo's choose between the P6X58D-E, Rampage II Extreme and Sabertooth

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|13-131-641^13-131-641-TS%2C13-131-665^13-131-665-TS%2C13-131-642^13-131-642-TS

As to the coolers, any of the top 3 will suffice and outperforms the H series coolers.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

DDR3-2000 won't do anything for you if you are not using LN2. Reading this, you will see that it really offers no advantage

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/07/19/intel-...

Quote:
Overclocking

While the i7-970 may only be slightly slower than the i7-980X EE out of the box, it’s a whole new game when it comes to overclocking. This is because while the i7-980X EE is an absolute beast, hitting 4.4GHz on air, we were only able to overclock the i7-970 from 3.2GHz to 4GHz.

While this isn’t a bad overclock, and did boost performance considerably, it’s a much worse overclock than the i7-980X EE. In fact, this result makes the i7-970 one of the worst Core i-series CPUs for overclocking that we've seen.

The overclock of the i7-970 was achieved by dropping the CPU multiplier to 20x and raising the QPI to 200MHz. We overclocked in this way so that we could run our RAM at its optimum 1,600MHz frequency. However, no amount of fiddling with the QPI bus or the multiplier, or the various voltages of out motherboard could get the CPU to run stably beyond 4GHz. To stabilise the overclock we boosted the vcore to 1.38125V, the CPU PLL to 1.96V, the QPI to 1.375V, the IOH to 1.3V and the ICH to 1.2V.

I'd go with a 120 GB Vertex 2

Quote:

Sounds like a reinstall of the O and gifting box to Aunt Tillie for e-mail would be the way to go and start completely fresh.

Thank you, very good information. For some reason I always thought the P6X58D-E was an entry or smaller version of this motherboard(because it was always cheaper), just now finding that it stands for Extreme. I will also settle for a much better cooler as I do not want this $900 processor melting on me... Just want to get things done the right way. I always leaned towards this Corsair as it looked like a non maintenance, 'good' water cooling solution. I knew it wasn't the best, but thought it would suffice and didn't want to lean towards air cooling. Seeing all these better coolers, I definitely need more reseach. As far as RAM, is it even worth an upgrade? The Dell currently utilizes Samsung 1GB DDR3 sticks @1066Mhz 7-7-7-20, which I know is slow, but is it even worth purchasing brand new sticks? I am mainly a gamer and will start getting into Adobe CS5... And I agree that OCZ Vertex 2 are really good but working in retail with Intel, I get half off the SSD.
You are completely right that a complete re-build is looking to my future... I appreciate all feedback...
m
l
November 20, 2010 12:15:00 PM

suteck said:
No go on the H50 cooler - If you pay attention to his video you will notice that not only is his processor only running at tops 1% that it is also only running at 1.5 to 1.7 GHz, (1500 to 1700 MHz). That cooler will never be able to keep your processor cool enough to overclock to 4.0 GHz. What other coolers can you get a deal on at work?
My guess that it's this fan controller that you're looking at when you watch that video.

Thank you, that is definitely the fan controller! I am willing to go for a better cooler as I want to get this done right. I need more research obviously with coolers and liked the idea of having the temps right there on the case... I work at Best Buy for their discount so we are limited to their coolers, so they have Thermaltake Spin Q and just found that they received the H70 Corsair Cooler. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be cheap with this expensive processor either so definitely am willing to purchase a much better cooler. Any other fan controller recommendations? maybe one that shows GPU temps also? Are there any good cases with this built in? I liked the setup from the youtube vid...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 22, 2010 4:09:01 PM

If you want to go with air for the CPU you should use the Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler for about $65. You will need to add fans to it like the Panaflo 120 x 38mm Ultra High speed Fan Theycan be noisy (45dBc at full speed) but if you put one on each end of the Megahalems you will get some serious cooling. Air is gonna be like that though, noisy I mean. Make sure you face them towards the back of the case to expel the heat they're trying to remove. I'm a water cooling guy myself ever since I went to the i7 965 and started overclocking. I can run mine at 4.6 GHz @1.55 v keeping the temps at around 80*C in a 75*F room during 1 hour stress testing with OCCT. Better when the ambient room temp is lower but that's the case with either. Plus if you go with water you can cool the video cards and probably the motherboard also. Mind you, it starts to get expensive when you start getting into watercooling but I think it's the coolest way to go.
m
l
November 23, 2010 11:20:22 AM

suteck said:
If you want to go with air for the CPU you should use the Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler for about $65. You will need to add fans to it like the Panaflo 120 x 38mm Ultra High speed Fan Theycan be noisy (45dBc at full speed) but if you put one on each end of the Megahalems you will get some serious cooling. Air is gonna be like that though, noisy I mean. Make sure you face them towards the back of the case to expel the heat they're trying to remove. I'm a water cooling guy myself ever since I went to the i7 965 and started overclocking. I can run mine at 4.6 GHz @1.55 v keeping the temps at around 80*C in a 75*F room during 1 hour stress testing with OCCT. Better when the ambient room temp is lower but that's the case with either. Plus if you go with water you can cool the video cards and probably the motherboard also. Mind you, it starts to get expensive when you start getting into watercooling but I think it's the coolest way to go.

From the reviews, everything you say is correct. Looks like i'll be going for the MegaHalems with the push/pull configuration. Like I mentioned above I am new to the overclocking world and see that good temps should be maxing around 80c... Also our processors are a little different (6 core vs your 4) so don't know how that will account trying to overclock this to 4 GHZ(hopefully safe if I do the thermal paste correctly). Also I find it very interesting that a $65 heatsink with 2 good fans (probably $9 each) is better than a $80 water-cooled Corsair H50... Looking at my limits, i think an air cooled i7 970 overclocked to 4GHZ is more than enough power for me. I am not trying to break any records but just want a good machine. Also my roommate wants to get an 8 Core Mac Pro with two 5870's in Crossfire so I want it to beat that lol.

I will actually head to a local computer store (microcenter) and start looking into cases and fan controllers as I want it to be easily managed without having to go into window mode...

any Ram suggestions? did you overclock your RAM?
I now have Samsung 1GB DDR3 sticks @1066Mhz 7-7-7-20 (6GB total), and know this is slow so is it worth an upgrade? Is it that much of a difference?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 24, 2010 12:20:38 AM

Yeah, the H50 and 70 are ok for regular clocks and fairly quite running, they also produce a lot less structural stress on the motherboard because of the weight. The reason you're getting better cooling with air than with those is because they don't have much radiator surface space for cooling (approx same where the 120mm outside shape but when you add in the depth of the megaHalems as compared to the radiators...), and they only contain a small amount of liquid getting recirculated verily quickly it makes a big difference from "real" watercooling with larger loops, more liquid and larger radiators. They remove heat more efficiently then air but have a harder time dissipating it due to their small size.

Did you decide on which board you are going to get? And you're telling me you have 6 X 1GB sticks of memory correct? You probably wouldn't notice the difference if you get the 1333. If you get the 1600 you might come out better because usually when you overclock the cpu you have to downplay the memory speed, so if you start with a higher regular clock speed when you lower it you get the 1033 or 1333. If you click on my cpu-z banner you will notice that instead of running at 800/1600MHz I'm running at 600 or the 1033MHz. But instead of having 7 or 8 clocks I'm getting 6-6-6 so it kinda makes up for it. Course I'm running 12 GB's too so that makes it a little harder to get it up to speed. So I read anyway. I might be able to get it faster but it's gonna take me some time to figure it out, (probably a lot of time) So your sticks might be ok but I do think your memory read time will be quicker if you have 3 X 2GB in just the 3 lanes Triple channel means it reads 3 lanes at once. If you fill 6 slots it has to read each of the 3 lanes so it will have to read yours twice to get all 6. Make sense? So if you tell us which board you like we can find something suitable if you decide to go that route.
m
l
November 24, 2010 12:41:52 AM

I have decided on the Asus P6X58D-E, and reading into the triple vs dual channel memory thing, there is barely a difference so a setup with that will be barely noticable. But I completely understand what you are stating(yes with 6x1GB chips) and I personally don't think I will be 'needing' memory overclocks at the moment and will not be playing around with it-and how the whole 1366 LGA slot supports the triple lane slots vs LGA 1156.... If so, then it will only be around $100 for 2GB X 3 PC 1600 chips as they are dropping again in price and i could always purchase in the future...
So overall my setup will be like this... Asus P6X58D-E, 6GB RAM, i7 970-overclocked to 4GHZ, GTX 580, SB X-Fi Titanium, 2X OCZ Vertex 30GB RAID 0...
thinking of the CoolerMaster HAF X or maybe even the Coolermaster 922 mid case...
I like the size of the HAF 922 and think the HAF X is too big but has USB 3.0 and very good reputation.
Reading all the reviews, they are saying a stable 4GHZ overclock with the i7 970 can be achieved at 1.225v...
m
l
!