Total: 22 votes (2 blank votes)

• High End
  • 25 %
  • Mid Range
  • 60 %
  • Budget
  • 15 %
February 14, 2011 9:52:33 AM

Like the title mentioned, I have always wonder what the right rig for me is.

I have recently been saving up for a new gaming rig, but with so many options available in today's market i just don't know the right one. I am no computer expert/enthusiast, so seeking opinions from those who are would be quite helpful, my main use for the computer is gonna be MMO's with games like Aion, Tera, Guildwars 2 and i like to think that I'm using it to its worth, just like buying a $3000 comp for word would be pointless, so with that i enjoy playing on medium to high is fine, I don't do editing (Video, Song, etc.) so which rig would be worth the value, and why?
February 14, 2011 10:23:30 AM

I usually prefer an enthusiast/high-end design myself. This means heftier costs upfront but (w/out hardware failure) it'll last a long time and your real given upgrades are a graphics card every 1-2 years with a hefty lifespan of maybe 5 years. Only thing that I'd be cautious about is seeing what comes up on Intel/AMD's end around Q3/4 of this year. Stuff like a case, psu and hard drive, OS are a given that regardless what you get elsewhere will be compatible. Your processor, however, has bearings on your motherboard and that, in turn, can also determine what RAM (and how much of it) you want to get and the graphic card as well. I currently use my rig for mmo's (FF14, EvE and Aion) and was able to keep my budget extremely lower vs having it built by HP, Dell/Alienware and so on (savings was about $1k+). I have to say I like what I get on my rig for gaming and for its professional uses as well and I like the fact that it does show everything the way I want it far better than any laptop (even an Asus G73) and that is a huge perk obviously!
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
February 14, 2011 11:36:42 AM

I like to start with a mid-range and build it to a high-end over time. For ultimate flexibility, start with high-end power, motherboard and processor, then go from there.
Related resources
February 14, 2011 12:01:44 PM

l like a mid-high end (bang for buck) rig and upgrade over time with new bang for buck parts that releases. and then i OC them as high as i can to get awesome performance for not too much money ;) 
a c 105 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
February 14, 2011 12:46:08 PM

Prefer the high end.
a c 215 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
February 14, 2011 12:51:58 PM

It really depends on your budget, you can get a pretty high end rig for a bit over a grand that would handle everything your are doing fine. I dont think picking a budget based off of usages is the way to go, set your max budget then get a system in that range that will do what you need, you dont have to spend the whole budget, but its not fair to compare a $3k system to a $600 system since the $3k will obviously do better, but the performance/dollar is much lower as the price rises.
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2011 4:14:10 PM

i go budget, waitign for a good combo mobo/cpu then good deal on video card usually also trying to find a combo with ram. current rig despite buying it a second gts 450 for sli has less than 600 bucks in it and can play everything i've thrown at it at 1080p so far (phenom II 955 w/ msi mobo 2x450's in sli, 4x2 gis ram for 8 gigs total, corsair tx850w and 1 tb wd hdd)
a c 479 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
February 14, 2011 5:31:52 PM

I generally go mid range. However, I put more emphasis on the CPU than the GPU since I also like to encode my videos to store on my HTPC.
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2011 5:40:34 PM

I usually go midrange. Get the best board and PSU you can afford. Then upgrade the RAM, CPU and video as newer tech comes out. I used to always go budget, but when upgrading I always ran into problems with CPU support and eventually you'll run out of things like SATA ports.

That is why choosing the best board with a current CPU socket that is more future proof, so you have a clear upgrade path as higher end parts come down to midrange price.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
February 14, 2011 5:50:37 PM

I like the high end (as is fairly obvious from my system), but I'll be the first to admit that if your goal is good gaming performance, it really isn't necessary. The ultra high end is for people who need it for their job, or for those who simply enjoy using and messing with extremely fast components. If your goal is to get a good gaming computer that will play games smoothly for some time, I would go for the midrange typically. You can get a budget gaming computer, but the midrange is really where the best balance is found IMO.

(Of course, the high end can be a lot of fun if you enjoy computers and have the money)
February 15, 2011 4:34:25 AM

Thanks for all the info, I think i understand now which systems would be right for which situation, atm I'm leaning towards the Mid Range, but if i have cash on hand might go for an upgrade for a High End. I don't mind more insights if possible.
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2011 7:27:52 AM

I usually look for mid range to get the best bang per buck.However if you need it desperately for making money professionally high end can pay off.For average use mid range is O.K. but so also is budget.
February 18, 2011 7:28:36 AM

How much is 'Budget' range? A i3-2100 with GTX 460 1Gb can play all games at resolution 1680x1020 with max settings (4xAA 16xAF) smoothly without hiccups. Yes, that means newest games like Dead Space 2 and BF2: Bad Company too. And the next 3 years games too.

With budget build, it's just one word you sacrifice: Resolution. Period. You still get 1680x1020 screening smooth. High-end is for 1920++ resolution only or 3-monitors HD viewing

i3-2100
Galaxy GtX 460 1GB
G.Skill Ripjaws 12800 4GBRL (2x2Gb)
WDC Sata III 500Gb Blue
Casing CoolerMaster Centurion 5 II Black
Acbel iPower 500W pure Overclock PSU
~$550
- Low mid-range budget, I think..
!