Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need up to date SSD advice.

Last response: in Storage
March 2, 2013 10:06:19 PM

So I have ordered a Samsung 500GB SSD for my desktop, and I plan on cloning my drive to it. However I need advice on how to get the most out of my SSD.

Note:
-I have heard things like "Turn off Page File" and "Move tmp files to a ram disk," but lately it sounds like advice like this was meant for older SSD's that weren't as reliable and burnt out quickly.

-Do I have to manually enable trim?

-Do I have to set my SSD to 'IDE mode" in the bios?

Any other up to date tips?

More about : date ssd advice

a b Ô Samsung
a c 134 G Storage
March 2, 2013 11:11:06 PM

You don't need to manually enable trim win7 do it for you. You need to change the storage mode to ahci in the bios. You are better to do the clean install win7.

Also get more info from Useful SSD Articles - Part 2. Tweaks / Optimization
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270102-32-useful-arti...
m
l
March 2, 2013 11:19:27 PM

Agree with the recommendation for clean install. Cloning is asking for trouble.

When you're setting up Windows on the SSD, unplug all other HDDs. That way you don't mix anything up.
m
l
Related resources
March 3, 2013 2:36:36 AM

Gundy said:
Agree with the recommendation for clean install. Cloning is asking for trouble.

When you're setting up Windows on the SSD, unplug all other HDDs. That way you don't mix anything up.

Thanks for the links guys, most of the other ones were outdated. But I still have two questions I want concrete answers on:

1) Do I really have to worry about how many read/writes my SSD does?

2) Is cloning really all that bad? It would save me a lot of trouble...
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 189 G Storage
March 3, 2013 2:39:26 AM

Better to clean install on OS.
Don't worry about the reads \ writes , won't be an issue.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
March 3, 2013 2:42:58 AM

CaptainTom said:
Thanks for the links guys, most of the other ones were outdated. But I still have two questions I want concrete answers on:

1) Do I really have to worry about how many read/writes my SSD does?

2) Is cloning really all that bad? It would save me a lot of trouble...

Don't worry about how many reads or writes. Unless you writing dozens and dozens of gigs each day you will buy a new SSD before it dies.

Don't clone onto the SSD, it may cause issues.

Just read go over the following that was mentioned, and do any suggestions: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-inst...
March 3, 2013 2:53:23 AM

Buy it,don't clone,ENJOY IT................
m
l
March 3, 2013 3:57:40 AM

edogawa said:
Don't worry about how many reads or writes. Unless you writing dozens and dozens of gigs each day you will buy a new SSD before it dies.

Don't clone onto the SSD, it may cause issues.

Just read go over the following that was mentioned, and do any suggestions: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-inst...

The thing is the guides I read say 9/10 migrations work perfectly. I am not trying to sound hard to deal with, but besides some people having "Problems" wouldn't it be just as effective as a fresh install assuming it works?

Would there be a problem with me simply migrating, and then running benchmarks to be sure it went well?
m
l
a b G Storage
March 3, 2013 4:01:56 AM

It may, but what's the point. It will take 10 minutes at most to install Windows and copy files off old hard drives. Just seems more logical to start fresh.
m
l
March 3, 2013 4:04:30 AM

edogawa said:
It may, but what's the point. It will take 10 minutes at most to install Windows and copy files off old hard drives. Just seems more logical to start fresh.

Yeah but I have to download GFW, Gamefly, and Steam again, and then reinstall everything. Plus tons of drivers and configuration. Now is there something I don't know about that migrates all of that after a fresh install?
m
l
a b G Storage
March 3, 2013 4:09:46 AM

If you want to just migrate go ahead if you wanna take the easier route, I don't blame you.

Personally, I'd just fresh install, but that's me, and I have everything stored on several other hard drives so fresh installs are quick and painless without issues.

I'll leave it up to you, if you experience issues, just fresh install.
m
l
March 3, 2013 5:07:47 AM

Best answer selected by CaptainTom.
m
l
!