UpGrading my Dinosaur

Capt_Mac_141

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Greetings All,
(My 1st Post)

My current sytem is an "old" Intel P4 915 GAV motherboard, CPU @ 3.4ghz, (single core, of course), XP o/s
Have upgraded components in the past, (ie: PSU, vid card, Ram, etc.), but have now reached my limit.
I don't want to change my case, or PSU, and I would like to keep my current Hard drive info, approx. 150 GB.

Questions are:

1. Can I upgrade to Intel X58 Motherboard, CPU ( Intel i7 Quad core), and Windows 7 o/s and still keep and run my old hard drive files?

2. How do I transfer the old hard drive files?

3. Whats a good ball park price for the upgrades? (plus new vid card((ATI)) and memory)

4. Or should I just give up and get a new unit? lol

Regards,

Capt_Mac_141

Yes you would be able to keep your old hdd. and run it as a secondary storage device.
Obviously it's IDE so you'll have to choose a mobo with legacy features(IDE).
Like the above poster mentions we need that info concerning the case and psu.

Capt_Mac_141

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply,

Sorry for the ommisions, I'm new at this.

1. PSU - Ultra, 750w
2. iCute 314 Tower, ATX (www.modsynergy.com/review65.htm)
3. Western Digital 1600 IDE ATA/ATAPI
4. Radeon X1950 Pro (512mb)

Regards,

Capt_Mac_141

I wouldn't recommend putting a 1366 platform in a case with 80mm fans.
You could get away with an i3 build or an 1155 cuz they run much cooler.
But cases with 80mm cooling fans are very outdated.
You would probably be able to keep your psu.
Provided it has modern connectors like sata,pcie etc.
Doh! had to edit the psu stuff.

Markusx64

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
If you are only woried about your files you could buy a externat hdd drive case and load them onto your new system. Also if your upgrading to a new system, like one with the i7 there would be not much of a point of keeping a p4.

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
If you want to use that IDE drive then you need to pay extra for a board with IDE support or get an add on card. Intel dropped it from the current chipsets, so you need a board with an added controller. As for the case, as mentioned above, if you don't have any 120mm fans or even a single 120mm vent, then you should change the case too.

If your power supply has a 20+4 pin motherboard connector and 4+4 CPU power connector, then it is fine for any newer board. If it doesn't have many SATA connectors, you can get adapters from 4 pin IDE power to SATA power.

But if you don't change that case, don't go over i3 or Core 2 Duo... cause quads and newer chips need good ventilation. Especially if you use the stock heatsink the CPUs come with. They usually are way too small.

jive

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
HI,

For your IDE drive, there some enclosure who accept ide drive, old one with usb 1.0, I have 3 ide drive in my really old pc, I bought one of this drive enclosure, put the disk in it and transfert my data. It's more easy to do that, the enclosure I have cost me 15$ and work like a charm. Plus you can always keep the disk for long term storage afteer your new build is done,As I do.

Regards J

Markusx64

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011

i have a nice hd enclosure that i bought not long ago and it acepts ide and sata

TRENDING THREADS