Logitech MX510 Mouse

Last response: in Video Games
December 18, 2004 9:03:22 PM

I have just bought myself a nice new Logitech MX510 mouse. All the reviews
seem to suggest this as the best. I have managed to set it to run on
800dpi. The only thing I cant do is get any of the additional buttons to
work. Has anyone else got any experience of this mouse? Any pointers?

I am using Fedora Core 1

Many thanks

Welshman

More about : logitech mx510 mouse

December 18, 2004 9:03:23 PM

"AgreatWelshMan" <not@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.12.18.18.03.21.636503@thisaddress.com...
> I have just bought myself a nice new Logitech MX510 mouse. All the reviews
> seem to suggest this as the best. I have managed to set it to run on
> 800dpi. The only thing I cant do is get any of the additional buttons to
> work. Has anyone else got any experience of this mouse? Any pointers?

Well, in windows you assign the extra buttons to perform a keystroke with
the logitech software, which can then be bound in game to do whatever.
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 11:06:13 PM

In article <pan.2004.12.18.18.03.21.636503@thisaddress.com>,
AgreatWelshMan wrote:
> I have just bought myself a nice new Logitech MX510 mouse. All the
> reviews seem to suggest this as the best. I have managed to set it to
> run on 800dpi. The only thing I cant do is get any of the additional
> buttons to work. Has anyone else got any experience of this mouse? Any
> pointers?
>
> I am using Fedora Core 1
>
> Many thanks
>
> Welshman

I use the MX 700 and that one has the same buttons. I have in UT (in
Linux also) vijf buttons working. The one button above the scroll wheel
and the two below are not working, in other way the one above and below
the scroll wheel are equivalent to wheel mouse up and down, the second
below is equivalent to left mouse button.

For so far i now, in windows is the same story.

BTW What do mean by managed to run it at 800dpi?

GG
Kees
--
Visit me at http://www.xs4all.nl/~kostercd/
May the fairy god-camel leave a lump on your pillow!

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:46:44 -0600, Schism wrote:

> "AgreatWelshMan" <not@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
> news:p an.2004.12.18.18.03.21.636503@thisaddress.com...
>> I have just bought myself a nice new Logitech MX510 mouse. All the reviews
>> seem to suggest this as the best. I have managed to set it to run on
>> 800dpi. The only thing I cant do is get any of the additional buttons to
>> work. Has anyone else got any experience of this mouse? Any pointers?
>
> Well, in windows you assign the extra buttons to perform a keystroke with
> the logitech software, which can then be bound in game to do whatever.

I have a dual boot PC Fedora core 1 and Windows XP. While they both have
advantages and disadvantages when it comes to playing UT2004 FC1 is
marginally faster. The other problem Windows has is that it only polls the
mouse at 125Hz for USB and 200Hz on PS/2 while Linux polls at 500Hz (with
a small patch). This makes it surprisingly smoother and more accurate.
Add to this the fact that to get the extra buttons to work in
Windows you need to run an extra process (More CPU cycles and memory).
If I can get all the buttons to work in Linux I will have the best of all
worlds. In the meantime the extra speed, smoothness and accuracy makes it
worth sticking to FC1.

Welshman
!