Advice on Upgrading

Ichy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Hello motherboard Forums!

I'm looking to upgrade my current Mobo so that I can xfire 2 6950's. specifically Asus DCII EAH6950, and had a couple of questions along with that.

First I intend to use an AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE, I'm not really looking to upgrade the processor as currently the New bulldozers are lack luster for gaming and I really like keeping my gpu's and cpu in the same family, so intel is out.

Current Settup:
Case/Chasy: Unknown Mid tower. Long forgotten who made it
PSU: Senty 1000w 80 Plus Gold, modular
MoBO: M4A87TD/USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE, OC at 3.5
Ram: Crucial Ballistix 1333 2x2gb (4gb total)
GPU: 1x Asus DCII EAH6950

Right now I"m looking to grab an Asus Sabertooth board, but am open to all suggestions.

What I am concerned about is weather or not a 990 chip set is worth it. I understand that AMD states that 990 chipsets are recomended, but supports manufactures that wish to produce an 800 series chip mobo that can support Bulldozer cpus.

I inted to only 2 way crossfire; mainly because the cards are so large and because I feel that anything beyond 2 way doesn't produce as much performance boost. Yes I know proframce wise the N way will be better, but honestly 2 way's seem to be right at the best bang for the dollar mark, unless your using older cards.

Also: I intend to Upgrade my Case to a Silverstone Fortress ft02, so eATX mobo are supported, and I know my ram isn't top notch any more and plan to upgrade it as well. If any more information is needed please let me know.