3 monitors 2 different nvidia cards

melder

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Before I go ahead I'd just like someone to tell me I am either right or wrong on this if you would be so kind.

I have a 9800GT I use a dual monitor setup on, I'd like to add a third monitor to my system. The third display being used mainly for video.

To do this I can add a cheap video card such as an 8400GS and run my third display from that?

This is not an attempt to setup SLI and as far as I understand even a dual monitor setup cannot be done with SLI?

Sometimes I do play multiple instances of a very low video requirement game *not sure if I am allowed mention names* but an 8400GS would handle the game easily. If I where to drag that game from a screen running on the 9800GT to the screen running on the 8400GS would I run into problems? And the same question applies to moving active video playback.

Thank you to all who read my post and my appreciations also to all who reply.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I have to say no. The 8400 GS is not acceptable as a video card for gaming, and it will not support more than 2 monitors. You may have to do an SLI configuration to do so.

I think you will be fine. Both cards will use the same nvidia driver, which is required if your OS is XT, but not windows-7. On vista, I can't recall.

I use a 5780 for my main gaming monitor, and a 3450( a very weak card) for my second monitor. I can easily drag civilization 5 back and forth with no real problem.

It should work on all three OS's as Nvidia use a unified "one size fits all" driver.