Best Non-Gaming Quad-Monitor System under $500

bubaseballfan

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
I'd like a system that I can build that will support up to four monitors. I don't mind buying 2 lower-end video cards as long as the system will support 4 monitors. Whatever works best.

The system will be used for office type applications. A lot of cumbersome excel spreadsheets, while running many web-based applications. I'm not interested in overclocking, nor do I know how.

Obviously, I have looked at some of the gaming builds, because those machines can handle anything. But I notice that a lot of money goes into the video cards on these systems. If it's reasonable, i'd like to allocate more money towards things like more memory, etc, rather than great video cards.

Maybe just trying to build a budget gaming PC might be my best bet, but I'd figured I'd get everyone's input first.

Thanks ahead of time.

Solution
$420AR
Untitled-1713.jpg

Enable ATI Surround View in BIOS for quad display, IGP + Radeon class discrete
Untitled-837.jpg

zach538467

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I'm sure there are other, easier solutions, but all you need is a motherboard with two PCIe slots and cards in each slot. You can't run in "SLI/Crossfire" mode for games, but since that isn't your concern it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure the cards have two video out ports. I have done this with a 5850 and an 8800GT out to two monitors and two tv's with no problems.

Windows 7 allows for multiple video drivers running concurrently, and in my experience it worked just fine.

bubaseballfan

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Thank you for your post batuchka, but I have a question.

How can I run four monitors off this single video card if there are only 3 outputs on the card?

What are some similar systems that can be built with two video cards?

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
The 5450 has a hdmi/vga/dvi ports. The motherboard has an integrated graphics processor which has a dvi/vga output. So you actually have 5 output together. read batuchka's post on the bottom he tells you how to set it up so you can run both the 5450 and igp at the same time.