Output per second vs. amount of memory

Waits1972

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Hello,

I have 3G of DDR2. Two of the chips are Samsung and one of the chips is Kingston. When I have all three in (Windows 7) my operations per second is rated 4.7. When I take out the Kingston it goes up to 5.5. I imagine it's a compatibility issue. The computer recognizes all 3 Gb in bios and elsewhere, so I'm not worried about that. My question is this: is it better to have more RAM with less ops per seconds or less Ram with more ops per seconds? I am asking this specifically concerning gaming, not the pc performance in general.

Solution
The amount of RAM you have comes more into play when you are using more than one program at a time.

You are right, the drop in OPS is due to a compatibility issue, the RAM was not tested together or optimized to run with each other so even if they are exactly the same type/speed of RAM there is a good possibility for conflicts.

You are going to want to leave the single Kingston chip out because while you are gaming, the memory is dedicated to the game itself so a higher rate of OPS will be better.

If you do want to increase your RAM, you will be better off buying a dual channel kit with more RAM per card rather than filling all 4 DRAM channels.

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
The amount of RAM you have comes more into play when you are using more than one program at a time.

You are right, the drop in OPS is due to a compatibility issue, the RAM was not tested together or optimized to run with each other so even if they are exactly the same type/speed of RAM there is a good possibility for conflicts.

You are going to want to leave the single Kingston chip out because while you are gaming, the memory is dedicated to the game itself so a higher rate of OPS will be better.

If you do want to increase your RAM, you will be better off buying a dual channel kit with more RAM per card rather than filling all 4 DRAM channels.

Solution

Waits1972

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Thanks, Dalmveern! I've actually never witnessed my system utilize more than 2 GB in task manager while gaming. However, I am going to be playing Star Wars: TOR and I don't know if that will be the case. Being a poor student, I think I will wait and see, or try and find an inexpensive Samsung model match. My game card is 1gb, so from what I understand more than 3G Ram would be a waste of money using Windows 7 32 bit. Thanks again.

lozz08

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
It depends on whether or not all of the 2GB will be utilized. When the hard drive starts getting used, obviously it gets a lot slower.

So if the 2gb is actually faster memory, but a program has to start using the hard drive, then in the end it is slower. You have to determine with testing whether or not all 2gb will be used or not. I would think the answer to that question is yes in most cases in 2011.

EDIT: whoops. had this page open for a while before I posted.

Waits1972

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

Thanks, Lozz. I will add the 3rd card if I see it exceeding more than 2gb. However, my game card has 1gb. I'm not sure how that factors in. Wouldn't that give me access to 3gb Ram while gaming?

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Windows 7 32-bit will only report 3 GB of RAM total, but the real amount it will recognize is 3.6 GB... the extra 0.6 will be used as shared RAM with your GPU.

The benefit of having 2 of the same dual channel kits is that you will have memory that matches, and that is important.

What I am saying is if you want to upgrade your RAM, instead of putting a third card in there, which will decrease your performance, get 2x2GB RAM, something like this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184

If you can round up the $55 you will be happy with that memory.