GTX 465 VS RADEON 5830?

Which card is faster, also what brand? I am looking for a card under 210$ Thanks
23 answers Last reply
More about radeon 5830
  1. Are you in the usa ?
    There is a deal for the gtx 465 here, that ends today.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=6589080&sku=G458-0465%20SC&srkey=G458-0465%20SC&SRCCODE=HARDOCPJS&cm_mmc_o=dRqJ4mCjCZ-qKR2VCjC2zfGpjDn9oCjCRnxvCxn99
    Quote:
    Galaxy 60XGH3HS3CUD GeForce GTX 465 Video Card - 1024 MB GDDRF, PCI-Express 2.0 Dual DVI, Mini HDMI, SLI, DirectX 11, Fermi, w/ FREE Starcraft II Game Trial Offer & Mafia II Download
    Current Price: $234.99 - $60 MIR = $174.99
    Price after $15 Coupon Code YPN6631 = $159.99
    Coupon Code expires on 9/27

    I would choose the gtx 460 1gb before the gtx 465 , unless you get a good deal like above. IMO, even the gtx 460~768 is a better choice for your money.
    To the original question the 465 is faster than the 5830. About 10%. The gtx 465 overclocks well, you should have good airflow with any of the cards mentioned.
    What resolution do you game at ?
  2. notty22 said:
    Are you in the usa ?
    There is a deal for the gtx 465 here, that ends today.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=6589080&sku=G458-0465%20SC&srkey=G458-0465%20SC&SRCCODE=HARDOCPJS&cm_mmc_o=dRqJ4mCjCZ-qKR2VCjC2zfGpjDn9oCjCRnxvCxn99
    Quote:
    Galaxy 60XGH3HS3CUD GeForce GTX 465 Video Card - 1024 MB GDDRF, PCI-Express 2.0 Dual DVI, Mini HDMI, SLI, DirectX 11, Fermi, w/ FREE Starcraft II Game Trial Offer & Mafia II Download
    Current Price: $234.99 - $60 MIR = $174.99
    Price after $15 Coupon Code YPN6631 = $159.99
    Coupon Code expires on 9/27

    I would choose the gtx 460 1gb before the gtx 465 , unless you get a good deal like above. IMO, even the gtx 460~768 is a better choice for your money.
    To the original question the 465 is faster than the 5830. About 10%. The gtx 465 overclocks well, you should have good airflow with any of the cards mentioned.
    What resolution do you game at ?


    The highest possible, I am thinking of going for the 460 anyways.....How about the 1 GB Vs the 700 MB version though? Is there a big difference? Damn, that's a pretty good deal, I think I'm going for that instead.......
  3. ct1615 said:

    Hmm, people are saying go with the GTX 460 instead of the 465...... LOL!!
  4. +1 460
  5. People are telling you to go with the GTX 460 because the old Fermi's are really power suckers, like the GTX 470 and GTX 480. Also the GTX 465,470, and 480 run really hot compared to the new Fermi lineup basically the GTX 460. Also at the price point of the 465 which is basically the pricing of the 5850, I'd rather go with the 5850 over the 465. Not only that the 460 is actually a great card, and runs much cooler than the 465.
  6. I've never understood those charts of "relative performance" because look at how they put the gtx 275 on equal footing from the 280. There's all kinds of inconsistencies.
  7. nativeson8803 said:
    I've never understood those charts of "relative performance" because look at how they put the gtx 275 on equal footing from the 280. There's all kinds of inconsistencies.

    No , not really. The 280 was Nvidia's flagship at 65nm. The gtx 275 was @55nm, same cuda cores and probably other tweaks learned from the prior process. Its not surprising they are very equal. Nvidia released the gtx 285 which was the new flagship. Nvidia just augmented the model naming for the die shrink.
  8. notty22 said:
    No , not really. The 280 was Nvidia's flagship at 65nm. The gtx 275 was @55nm, same cuda cores and probably other tweaks learned from the prior process. Its not surprising they are very equal. Nvidia released the gtx 285 which was the new flagship. Nvidia just augmented the model naming for the die shrink.


    well so err would this be more worth it http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=6589080&sku=G458-0465%20SC&srkey=G458-0465%20SC&SRCCODE=HARDOCPJS&cm_mmc_o=dRqJ4mCjCZ-qKR2VCjC2zfGpjDn9oCjCRnxvCxn99&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=X3Th4gZi_iQ-sCa9li9zW87t9s98TWIMNw

    or

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127518

    I know it costs more, just wanna know the truth, don't care about that 40$ incr

    also I heard you could unlock the 265>270? with NVFlash?
  9. If only this website had a performance chart of some sort... a way to compare data...
  10. People say go with the GTX460 because of the crazy high overclocks. The 460 will overclock to beat a stock HD5850 in most cases and even equal a stock 5870 in some benchmarks. I run mine at 820-1640-2000 (stock GTX460 is 675-1350-1900)with no problems on stock voltage and that is not even pushing it really but just where I am happy at.
  11. halodude23 said:

    I would definitely choose the gtx 460 out of those two. Your getting the Hawk, and Metro 2033 and I would choose RE5.
    Two games , Metro is dx11, both fun.
    I like to avoid rebates.
  12. anort3 said:
    People say go with the GTX460 because of the crazy high overclocks. The 460 will overclock to beat a stock HD5850 in most cases and even equal a stock 5870 in some benchmarks. I run mine at 820-1640-2000 (stock GTX460 is 675-1350-1900)with no problems on stock voltage and that is not even pushing it really but just where I am happy at.


    i don't really know how to overclock a graphics card lol, I just don't understand it.
  13. halodude23 said:
    i don't really know how to overclock a graphics card lol, I just don't understand it.


    Thanks to tools like EVGA Precision and MSI's Afterburner overclocking a graphics card is as easy as moving a slider bar. Could not be easier.

    http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/gui.htm
    http://www.evga.com/precision/
  14. anort3 said:
    Thanks to tools like EVGA Precision and MSI's Afterburner overclocking a graphics card is as easy as moving a slider bar. Could not be easier.

    http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/gui.htm
    http://www.evga.com/precision/

    I know they have tools, but I just don't know how to overclock a card, and I only know how to overclock my CPU using auto clock LOL in the bios
  15. Google is your friend.
  16. aznshinobi said:
    Google is your friend.

    Google, is definitely not always my friend ;D
  17. halodude23 said:
    Google, is definitely not always my friend ;D


    Google IS your friend.

    If you know how to use it xD
  18. Then youtube is your friend.
  19. aznshinobi said:
    Then youtube is your friend.


    Youtube may as well be google video...

    :)
  20. True, but Youtube is video! They actually have a lot of good guides, learned how to do most things with me comp on there.
  21. It's hard not to know how to use something like EVGA Precision or Afterburner though......slider right = faster.........slider left = slower :kaola:
  22. Yeah, the only reason to think you can't OC a video card is because you simply never tried to do so. It's pretty simple.
    As for the the GTX 460 vs GTX 465 the difference actually is not in overclocking ability as both OC very well. The main advantage of the GTX 460 is that it is smaller, more power efficient and gives off less heat. The GTX 460 1gb is also usually slightly faster at high resolutions.
  23. jyjjy said:
    Yeah, the only reason to think you can't OC a video card is because you simply never tried to do so. It's pretty simple.
    As for the the GTX 460 vs GTX 465 the difference actually is not in overclocking ability as both OC very well. The main advantage of the GTX 460 is that it is smaller, more power efficient and gives off less heat. The GTX 460 1gb is also usually slightly faster at high resolutions.

    Never cared about overclocking much, just cared if my pc worked when I built it from Start to End =D, I already used EVGA precision, but I don't get how I can tell if my game has higher FPS, use fraps? CPUID for Frequency check and voltages?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Radeon Graphics Product