Creating personal photo Web pages

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 15, 2005 5:59:20 PM

I created a process for one of my clients that takes a directory of jpg
images and automatically places them on their Web server. Though most
of the application deals with the internal processing and cataloging of
the images, there is the part that automatically creates the HTML pages
and FTP's the images to the server.

http://www.floatographs.com/php/floatograph.php

I removed the resizing and HTML creation from the application and use it
for my own display of images for my Rotary club and other community
organizations. My client's version creates dynamic pages; that is pages
requiring a database and PHP. However, my personal version just
requires that I have storage Web space on my ISP's server.

http://209.204.172.137/rotary/

This coding provides a means of quickly placing a folder of pictures on
a Web page server by doing a couple of clicks without knowing very much
about image resizing or HTML. My question (since I am somewhat isolated
from commercial products) is if there are already Shareware/Freeware
products available. If not, I am willing to package what I have written
and make it available as Freeware.

Thank you....

Todd Cary
Ariste Software
January 15, 2005 5:59:21 PM

Yes there are other free programs like this, there's at least a couple
at sourceforge.net which are pretty advanced aimed at letting you upload
from the web & have them resized and using login for registered users,
etc. I wrote one for myself using PHP without a database & without the
resizing. I just use nested folders & matching text files for annotation.

I'd be interested in your resizing routines. I'd be happy to share my
code as well though I'm pretty much an amateur programmer, it wouldn't
be too difficult to modify the templates. It's definitely not simple
enough for someone with no clue about PHP to modify. I think to really
be useful, it would need to be self installing with thorough
instructions and a help manual.

Here is mine:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/

The system looks like this:

gallery/
image1.jpg
image1.txt
image2.jpg
image2.txt
title.txt (optional)
index.txt (optional)
thumbs/
image1.jpg
image2.jpg
sub-gallery/
image3.jpg
thumbs/
image3.jpg

I set up an interface for creating the annotations when it's run on my
desktop and for creating shortcut type 'link' files:
link-image1.txt
This allows presenting select pictures from larger more boring galleries.

I suppose the advantage of my simple system is you don't need to pay
extra for a database with the web hosting. It's pretty simple code too
without any ability to track sessions or cookies, this makes the links
pretty large but it's simple. For example:
<http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay...;

Todd Cary wrote:
> I created a process for one of my clients that takes a directory of jpg
> images and automatically places them on their Web server. Though most
> of the application deals with the internal processing and cataloging of
> the images, there is the part that automatically creates the HTML pages
> and FTP's the images to the server.
>
> http://www.floatographs.com/php/floatograph.php
>
> I removed the resizing and HTML creation from the application and use it
> for my own display of images for my Rotary club and other community
> organizations. My client's version creates dynamic pages; that is pages
> requiring a database and PHP. However, my personal version just
> requires that I have storage Web space on my ISP's server.
>
> http://209.204.172.137/rotary/
>
> This coding provides a means of quickly placing a folder of pictures on
> a Web page server by doing a couple of clicks without knowing very much
> about image resizing or HTML. My question (since I am somewhat isolated
> from commercial products) is if there are already Shareware/Freeware
> products available. If not, I am willing to package what I have written
> and make it available as Freeware.
>
> Thank you....
>
> Todd Cary
> Ariste Software
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 8:58:56 PM

paul wrote:
> [...]
>> the HTML pages and FTP's the images to the server.
>>
>> http://www.floatographs.com/php/floatograph.php
>>
>> I removed the resizing and HTML creation from the application and use
>> it for my own display of images for my Rotary club and other community
>> organizations. My client's version creates dynamic pages; that is
>> pages requiring a database and PHP. However, my personal version just
>> requires that I have storage Web space on my ISP's server.
>>
>> http://209.204.172.137/rotary/
>>
>> This coding provides a means of quickly placing a folder of pictures
>> on a Web page server by doing a couple of clicks without knowing very
>> much about image resizing or HTML. My question (since I am somewhat
>> isolated from commercial products) is if there are already
>> Shareware/Freeware products available. If not, I am willing to
>> package what I have written and make it available as Freeware.

I you contact me at todd@aristesoftware.com, I'll give you access to my
FTP server so that you can download Resize, my resizing component.

Todd
!