My pc randomly reboots! Please Help!

Hi, my pc randomly reboots, it happens when i play games, surf or when im watching a clip on youtube(in short: any activity and its happening completely randomly) and i dunno why, please help me to solve this problem, im in desperate need!
my system is:

OS: Windows 7 Home Edition 32-bit (New)
PSU: Corsair TX650W (Newer)
MOBO: P7P55D (Newest)
CPU: Intel Core i5 760 (Newest)
CPU-Cooler: Actic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2(New)
HDD: Western Digital Black (New)
RAM: 2GB 1333MHz Kingston Value RAM (Newest)
GPU: ZOTAC GTX 470 (Newer)
CASE: NZXT Hush (New)
New= Bought right after problem accured.
Newer= Bought a while after the problem accured.
Newest= Bought just recently.
(ive changed these components since the problem accured but it didn't fix my issue unfortunately)

Have done:
Picked an old hdd and installed a fresh xp os on it with only display drivers and anti-virus and a game on it(no luck, even tho it was completely clean and i wasn't browsing at all with it, therefor no virus-related problem)
i read somewhere to disable the hd sounddrivers in devicemanager which nvidia uses to output audio through the hdmi, and so i did it(no luck)
Ive had HWMonitor running and my temps seems to be alright(cpu: 36C idle 52C Load, gpu: 42C idle 79C Load, hdd: 29C idle 35C load, mobo: 42C load)
also my voltages are as they should be. ive used asus's mem ok button so the ram is compatible and ive flashed my mobo to the latest version, ive ran prime95 but it was a succes and no reboot accured, ive ran memtest86+ but no errors.
i've disabled automatically restart in the startup and recovery window
i've checked the windows log and the only error i find is kernel-power 41
i've ran my motherboard on a test bench with only mouse and keyboard and screen and power connected and removed the powerswitch connector right efter it booted(yet no luck either)
i've ran my pc in different electrical power outlets
i've tried running my graphics card with the 2 6-pin to molex adapters(no luck)
when i disabled my mouse driver and tried to start a game i got a BSOD with this error:
0x0000008E (0xC0000047, 0x82EC56B7, 0x82F6179C, 0x00000000)
its the first and only BSOD ive got since this problem accured.

Please Help!
Thanks a lot in advance!
11 answers Last reply
More about randomly reboots help
  1. Pull out the CPU and examine it carefully for bent pins. I had a PC that had a similar reboot issue even though it passed every test I threw at it. After trying everything else, I finally took out the CPU and under a microscope found a bent pin that was almost impossible to detect. Fortunately, it was just one of the numerous ground pins.

    I hope your solution is as simple as that.
  2. tluxon said:
    Pull out the CPU and examine it carefully for bent pins. I had a PC that had a similar reboot issue even though it passed every test I threw at it. After trying everything else, I finally took out the CPU and under a microscope found a bent pin that was almost impossible to detect. Fortunately, it was just one of the numerous ground pins.

    I hope your solution is as simple as that.

    i will try that, and see if i find any is even as much as a little bent, i know that if one pin is off or bent to not get contact the pc wont even boot due to the cpu has to boot the bios. so it is kinda serious about these pins, thanks for your advice, ill come back with the results.
  3. tluxon said:
    Pull out the CPU and examine it carefully for bent pins. I had a PC that had a similar reboot issue even though it passed every test I threw at it. After trying everything else, I finally took out the CPU and under a microscope found a bent pin that was almost impossible to detect. Fortunately, it was just one of the numerous ground pins.

    I hope your solution is as simple as that.


    nope, no pins are bent
  4. You have a friend with a similar system, find out how much of a friend he is.
    Ask him if you can bring your system to his place and swap parts to see if you can recreate the issue on his system.
  5. delluser1 said:
    You have a friend with a similar system, find out how much of a friend he is.
    Ask him if you can bring your system to his place and swap parts to see if you can recreate the issue on his system.


    the thing is that i have swapped all the mentioned parts since the problem began and neither are faulty, thats why i said it, ive sent them back to the store and got all new models of them but it didn't fix my problem either, but thanks anyway, i dunno what could cause this reboot due to everything seems normal and the issue lacks logic..
  6. Have you run Western Digital's Data Lifeguard for thoroughly diagnosing the hard drive (http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=613&lang=en)? Crippling issues are very rare, but possible. If you've had exactly the same symptoms with more than one drive this could be ruled out.
  7. tluxon said:
    Have you run Western Digital's Data Lifeguard for thoroughly diagnosing the hard drive (http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=613&lang=en)? Crippling issues are very rare, but possible. If you've had exactly the same symptoms with more than one drive this could be ruled out.


    i shouldn't respond to that comment, but ill do it anyway, read my first post, the first line under "have done:" the answer to your question is already answered there, the reason i said "have done: " is to not get a comment asking about something ive already done, its to get a better help. everyone who comments, pls READ what i have done b4 asking a question, it might have already been answered.
  8. so what have you done again?
  9. jake1121 said:
    so what have you done again?


    i can't belive i have to repeat my self yet another time, what ive done is HERE:

    Anonymous said:
    Hi, my pc randomly reboots, it happens when i play games, surf or when im watching a clip on youtube(in short: any activity and its happening completely randomly) and i dunno why, please help me to solve this problem, im in desperate need!
    my system is:

    OS: Windows 7 Home Edition 32-bit (New)
    PSU: Corsair TX650W (Newer)
    MOBO: P7P55D (Newest)
    CPU: Intel Core i5 760 (Newest)
    CPU-Cooler: Actic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2(New)
    HDD: Western Digital Black (New)
    RAM: 2GB 1333MHz Kingston Value RAM (Newest)
    GPU: ZOTAC GTX 470 (Newer)
    CASE: NZXT Hush (New)
    New= Bought right after problem accured.
    Newer= Bought a while after the problem accured.
    Newest= Bought just recently.
    (ive changed these components since the problem accured but it didn't fix my issue unfortunately)

    Have done:
    Picked an old hdd and installed a fresh xp os on it with only display drivers and anti-virus and a game on it(no luck, even tho it was completely clean and i wasn't browsing at all with it, therefor no virus-related problem)
    i read somewhere to disable the hd sounddrivers in devicemanager which nvidia uses to output audio through the hdmi, and so i did it(no luck)
    Ive had HWMonitor running and my temps seems to be alright(cpu: 36C idle 52C Load, gpu: 42C idle 79C Load, hdd: 29C idle 35C load, mobo: 42C load)
    also my voltages are as they should be. ive used asus's mem ok button so the ram is compatible and ive flashed my mobo to the latest version, ive ran prime95 but it was a succes and no reboot accured, ive ran memtest86+ but no errors.
    i've disabled automatically restart in the startup and recovery window
    i've checked the windows log and the only error i find is kernel-power 41
    i've ran my motherboard on a test bench with only mouse and keyboard and screen and power connected and removed the powerswitch connector right efter it booted(yet no luck either)
    i've ran my pc in different electrical power outlets
    i've tried running my graphics card with the 2 6-pin to molex adapters(no luck)
    when i disabled my mouse driver and tried to start a game i got a BSOD with this error:
    0x0000008E (0xC0000047, 0x82EC56B7, 0x82F6179C, 0x00000000)
    its the first and only BSOD ive got since this problem accured.

    Please Help!
    Thanks a lot in advance!



    READ the first post!
  10. Based on your original post you've virtually built an entirely new PC and somehow been able to have an unusual problem persist. At this point you've all but eliminated defective hardware. Another thing to rule out might be power. You've tried different outlets, but have you tried a conditioning power supply like an APC UPS?

    Once you've ruled out power source as a possible issue, there is still the possibiity of BIOS and driver issues related to particular operating systems. Some of that stuff can be time consuming, because BIOS versions can sometimes make a difference. I've seen updated BIOSes "ruin" a system and I've seen systems not run properly until the BIOS is updated. Another thing I've seen problems with is when Windows tries to install its own chipset driver for your motherboard instead of using the manufacturer's chipset driver. I would definitely reinstall that to make sure Windows hasn't overwritten part of it with its own driver.
  11. tluxon said:
    Based on your original post you've virtually built an entirely new PC and somehow been able to have an unusual problem persist. At this point you've all but eliminated defective hardware. Another thing to rule out might be power. You've tried different outlets, but have you tried a conditioning power supply like an APC UPS?

    Once you've ruled out power source as a possible issue, there is still the possibiity of BIOS and driver issues related to particular operating systems. Some of that stuff can be time consuming, because BIOS versions can sometimes make a difference. I've seen updated BIOSes "ruin" a system and I've seen systems not run properly until the BIOS is updated. Another thing I've seen problems with is when Windows tries to install its own chipset driver for your motherboard instead of using the manufacturer's chipset driver. I would definitely reinstall that to make sure Windows hasn't overwritten part of it with its own driver.

    i handed my corsair 650w in and bought a 750w corsair, the problem seems to have fixed now for some weird reason, i have some more tests to do, im not 100%sure its fixed, but my corsair 650w did run with a fan at an weirdly low speed and not much air was pushed, corsair is a high quality brand i just don't want to think its bad, but it could literately be anything thats using electrics anyway.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems