Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First SSD advice?

Last response: in Storage
March 3, 2013 8:09:54 AM

Hi there,

I've never had an SSD before and the performance (boot times and load times) of my current HDD is killing me.

Is the Corsair Force Series GT 60GB a good start? Or is there something else better than it for the same price since it's probably the most expensive I will go. Is it that much faster than say an OCZ Vertex 4 64GB MLC SSD which is slightly cheaper where I am from.

Thanks, cheers

More about : ssd advice

a c 298 G Storage
March 3, 2013 11:09:58 AM

I normally recommend Samsung. Crucial, Intel, and Plextor are also worth considering.

The Corsair Force GT is an older model with a SandForce controller. SandForce has not introduced a new controller in over 2 years. The current trend is not to purchase ssd's with those older controllers. The newer Corsair Neutron GTX or Neutron would be preferred over the older models.

The OCZ Vertex 4 is an acceptable model if that is all that is available where you live.

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.ht...

The database identifies the controller and memory used the ssd's. Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.
m
l
a b G Storage
March 3, 2013 11:31:56 AM

Keep in mind with a model that small you'll only get the OS and one larger/two smaller games on it. Load times of anything on the hdd will be unaffected. Be sure to leave at least 10% free (more is better).

Edit: update the ssd firmware prior to installing the os, set ahci in the bios (not ide), and run any ssd optimizing software that comes with the ssd after the os is installed.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 3, 2013 11:34:16 AM

Honestly, it doesnt matter if its an old controller, thas paranoia. Any SSD Sata III will perform equally.

And before somebody says that the benchamrk shows diference, these benchamrks are flawed. Real world usage of the SSD proed its everything same speed

I recomend getting a 250GB, thast the current popular size. If yyou cant afford this, get 120GB, it has a great price/GB. At 64GB you gonna pay more per GB, I dont recomend
m
l
March 3, 2013 11:57:25 AM

Cool, thanks for the decent advice. I'm also thinking more along the lines of a 120GB drive. The only one in my price range where I am from is the ADATA 120GB S511. I see it also has the SandForce controller but really, how much performance will be lost? I'm on SATA II anyways. The 120GB ssd is only about 10% more expensive than the Corsair ssd so I reckon I will go with the ADATA 120GB S511, anyone want to stop me before I make the order??? EDIT: or how about Adata S596Turbo 128Gb?
m
l
a c 298 G Storage
March 3, 2013 12:24:27 PM

The ADATA S596 Turbo is an old SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd that is no longer in production.
m
l
March 3, 2013 12:33:02 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
The ADATA S596 Turbo is an old SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd that is no longer in production.

Explains why it is so cheap. Here in south africa we are very outdated. So is the Adata S511 a good option? If not I will be forced to go for a 60GB ssd.
m
l

Best solution

a c 298 G Storage
March 3, 2013 12:50:54 PM

I understand the problem of limited availability in different regions and countries.

The general rule of thumb is to purchase the largest capacity ssd you can afford at the best possible price. In your situation your choices are limited so the ADATA S511 120GB ssd is quite acceptable.

a b G Storage
March 3, 2013 1:08:08 PM

Just stay away from District 9.
m
l
March 3, 2013 1:10:27 PM

Best answer selected by cromedome.
m
l
March 3, 2013 1:10:31 PM

Thanks for the advice dudes. Will go with the Adata 120GB ssd :D 
m
l
March 3, 2013 6:10:25 PM

I would try to get an MLC flash drive (as opposed to TLC) because it has a much longer write life.
m
l
March 5, 2013 8:47:38 AM

cromedome said:
Cool, thanks for the decent advice. I'm also thinking more along the lines of a 120GB drive. The only one in my price range where I am from is the ADATA 120GB S511. I see it also has the SandForce controller but really, how much performance will be lost? I'm on SATA II anyways. The 120GB ssd is only about 10% more expensive than the Corsair ssd so I reckon I will go with the ADATA 120GB S511, anyone want to stop me before I make the order??? EDIT: or how about Adata S596Turbo 128Gb?

Hey Y dont you consider buying Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G. This is really good choice and I have been using this from past 3 weeks without any issues. There are lots of advantages of this SSD and one of them I was interested was, this has intel RAID 0 drivers and in case of future upgrades we can stack up one more hyperx 3K 120G and configure RAID which would be faster than a single 240G SSD. newegg.com has 5 star rating for this product & very affordable too. Take a look at this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
March 5, 2013 2:11:43 PM

steave_01 said:
Hey Y dont you consider buying Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G. This is really good choice and I have been using this from past 3 weeks without any issues. There are lots of advantages of this SSD and one of them I was interested was, this has intel RAID 0 drivers and in case of future upgrades we can stack up one more hyperx 3K 120G and configure RAID which would be faster than a single 240G SSD. newegg.com has 5 star rating for this product & very affordable too. Take a look at this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can put almost any identical SSD's in a raid setup.

EDIT: as well i cannot buy from newegg as i live in south africa.
m
l
a c 298 G Storage
March 5, 2013 8:11:06 PM

The Kingston Hyper X 3K is a equipped with an SandForce 2281 controller. That is an old controller. SandForce has not introduced any new controllers in over 2 years. The current trend is to not buy ssd's with SandForce controllers.

Those SandForce controllers were designed to work well with compressible data files. They did not do as well when working with incompressible data files such as photos, videos, and films

m
l
March 6, 2013 7:32:48 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
The Kingston Hyper X 3K is a equipped with an SandForce 2281 controller. That is an old controller. SandForce has not introduced any new controllers in over 2 years. The current trend is to not buy ssd's with SandForce controllers.

Those SandForce controllers were designed to work well with compressible data files. They did not do as well when working with incompressible data files such as photos, videos, and films

I'm sure I can handle that. Plus, I don't have much choice considering where I am from.
m
l
March 6, 2013 11:01:05 PM

Even with non optimum data your will notice a significant speed boost. I wouldn't worry.
m
l
!