GA-P35-DS3L "Disk Boot Failure"

zaphod23

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
All of a sudden my computer powers down and, when I try to boot up, I get this message: "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter." I changed the boot order in the Bios, putting the system drive before the CD/DVD drive. Same thing. I unplugged all the hard drives (I am not using RAID). Same thing. I removed and replaced the motherboard battery. I tried a different hard drive, different cables, and so on.

I tried a recovery using Acronis, which gets just so far in the process and then hangs. I tried to reinstall Windows 7 on both the original drive and another (brand new) drive. Both times the installation stalled and asked for hard drive drivers.

The computer posts, but does not find any drives.

At this point I think the problem is the motherboard rather than the system hard drive (which I reformatted at some point in any case, and seems to read perfectly find in another computer).

I am running Windows 7 64-bit, 4GB RAM

Should I reflash the Bios? (The Bios version is F9, and I don’t think there’s a more recent update.)

I’m medium-competent; I build my own computers. But this is driving me nuts. Any help?

I know you reset the batt, but did you go into bios and reload the defaults after that?
Have you tried running any kind of test on the HDD to check for bad sectors?
Have you checked the install disc for scratches?
The bios will not see HDDs but does it see your CD?
Have you tried all available sata ports?
Have you tried an ATA->SATA converter? (if it is only one drive there will be little to no performance penalty, especially if the drive is as old as the mobo).
Have you checked for blown caps? http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/312339-Computer-Repair-Help They are super easy to replace if you know what kind you need

If you try coaster's idea, and all the above and nothing works then it is time for a new board or an upgrade. Both are fun when you are ready for them, and very painful when you are not, I feel for ya.

zaphod23

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011