Which Case is better you think?

gougeface

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Hello, I'm trying to figure out what full tower case I want for my new build and i'm looking at the antec 1200 and HAF 932 but I don't know whats good because I know both have some better features then the other one so I want you guys answers,

Antec 1200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=11-129-043&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=1

HAF 932
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.546483.11-119-160

I know both are good but its hard to choose between the 2

Solution
You should be aware that both the cases listed are "last year's models". The 1200's been replaced by the DF-85. The 932's been replaced by the HAF-X. I have direct experience having built multiple boxes with all of them except the HAF-X.

1200 versus 932 - Both are very similar, yet some differences stand out. The 1200 is sturdier and has two H-U-G-E advantages:

1. Air Filters - I like air filters, the 1200 has them. Not only does the 932 not have them but it also has a lot of open grille area and tends to suck in dust from everywhere.

2. CPX Form Factor PSU Capability - Back when the idea was to squeeze lotsa stuff into a small case, PSU manufacturers where "squeezed" (pun intended) by market pressures into the ATX form...
D

Deleted member 217926

I love my 1200. That being said half the people here will say 1200 and half will say the Haf. Get the one you like best......both have amazing airflow. The newer Antec DF series "updates" the Antec line with easier to get to fan filters and external SSD connections. The DF85 is the updated 1200. The looks are not for everyone but they have amazing features.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129087

gougeface

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
I the 1200 has fan filters which is a big plus so i don't have to worry about my hardware getting dirty. the only thing I don't like is the 1200 not having anything under the PSU so the heat will have no where to go but i like the fan controls

D

Deleted member 217926

It can be a bit of a pain but I blow them off with compressed air then vacuum them every few weeks then about every 2 or 3 months I take them out and clean them really well. Takes about 10 minutes.

D

Deleted member 217926

About that same price over a year ago. It was on sale when I got it.

You check out those DF cases? If I was buying today I think I would get a DF85 just because of the easy SSD mounting.

gougeface

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010

yea I'm looking at it right now and damn its nice

gougeface

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
it has the same features as the 1200 but the fans in the front can open up and clean the filters w/o even taking the bay out.
Its only $20 more then the 1200. I would pay that much just to make it easier to clean the filters.

D

Deleted member 217926

And the SSD hot swap and the USB 3.0. ........I really am thinking of getting one when I finally upgrade this old beast.

You should be aware that both the cases listed are "last year's models". The 1200's been replaced by the DF-85. The 932's been replaced by the HAF-X. I have direct experience having built multiple boxes with all of them except the HAF-X.

1200 versus 932 - Both are very similar, yet some differences stand out. The 1200 is sturdier and has two H-U-G-E advantages:

1. Air Filters - I like air filters, the 1200 has them. Not only does the 932 not have them but it also has a lot of open grille area and tends to suck in dust from everywhere.

2. CPX Form Factor PSU Capability - Back when the idea was to squeeze lotsa stuff into a small case, PSU manufacturers where "squeezed" (pun intended) by market pressures into the ATX form factor. With today's huge cases being acceptable even desired, there's plenty of room for a "bigger and better idea". With the extra room, a PSU manufacturer can build a cooler, quieter box and get the same performance as its smaller brethren for lower cost. The Antec CP-850 never gets outclassed in the performance arena and nothing has matched it yet price wise. It's also extremely quiet.

The 932 is just about completely tool less which is a signiifcat advantage....however I don't quite like the retention mechanisms as they feel a bit flimsy and are often hard to line up. I often felt like I was going to break something. The 1200 OTOH has its oddities, using thumbscrews to hold in the three HD cages. If ya installed all 8 for each cage, that would be 24 screws on and off each time ya cleaned the filters. I remember wishing for more / bigger openings on the MoBo tray w/ the 1200.

The HAF-X addresses some of the concerns with the 932 but I don't wanna say to much about it as yet as I haven't done a build w/ it yet. Newegg has videos for both which will give you a good perspective on both. The DF-85 reduces the fan filter cleaning from the 1200's 8 minutes to 8 seconds with DF's hinged doors. OTOH, the doors on the 5.25 bays are a little silly and seem as not so good a trade off of style versus substance. The 2.5 " Hot Swap bay on the DF is real attractive to me for storing off site backups. The SATA back planes which let you slide HD's and SSD's in and out w/o the bother of detaching / attaching cables is soooo big on the 'wow this is nice" list. Both cases have this feature, but only the DF has the external hot swap one.

Building inside the DF case was my easiest build to date. Plenty of tray openings, plenty of points which to attach zip ties (I use about 40-60 per build) . But most important, to me anyway, it still has fan filters and still fits CPX power supplies.

Both Antec and CM annoy me to no end with their molex fan connectors. CM gives ya Molex to 3 pin adapters but who wants to try and hide or "neaten up" all those wires and plastic connectors ? Put a 3/4 pin connector on the fan ..... peeps buying these cases are buying enthusiast MoBos w/ oodles of fan headers and these guys won't let us use them. On my builds, I remove the molex, and build my own connectors

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1821/ele-173/3-Pin_Power_Supply_Connector_Pins_Set.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1828/ele-180/FrozenCPU_3-pin_Female_Fan_Connector_-_Blue_UV.html

Then sleeve em up in UV sleeves and heat shrink the ends.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3726/slv-25/FLEXO_PET_14_Nylon_Cable_Sleeve_-_Ultra_UV_Blue.html?tl=g35c177s363

In closing, the 1200 and 932 were very good cases.....the DF-85 and HAF-X improve on them.....significantly. Which one peeps choose will largely depend on aesthetic preferences.

Solution

gougeface

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010

Is replacing the 120m fans in the front easy?

D

Deleted member 217926

Jack is the case master. His review of the 1200 over the Haf is what made up my mind over a year ago. I want that DF so bad...I might give myself an extra x-mas present lol.