Sign in with
Your question

Doesn't boot when power hasn't been unplugged

Last response: in Components
February 14, 2011 8:15:34 PM

Hello,
whenever i forget to unplug my computer after i shut it down, instead of booting normaly i have a longer beep, and nothing is working (screen also stays black). It finally starts after a few reboots or directly if unplug/replug it....
Does it look like a PSU dying or could that be something else?
PSU is a Zalman 460w from like 3-4 years ago and system is e6750 @ 3.2ghz + 8800GT

More about : boot power unplugged

February 14, 2011 9:53:14 PM

Check the motherboard manual for the beep codes.
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2011 10:55:01 PM

The chances are that it is the power supply that is failing. If you are very unlucky it is the motherboard that is failing but you should try a new power supply first.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2011 11:36:49 PM

check for bad capacitors on the motherboard and powersupply. how to check for bad caps on motherboard: http://badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5
if you need help on chekcing for bad caps in the psu you can visit my website :) 
February 18, 2011 7:06:09 PM

Thanks already, but I already checked for beep codes in the manual and only 1 long beep isn't in there (all errors are supposed to be at least 2 beeps). Capacitors are looking good, and I never experience a single problem if the power was switched off before the pc startup... psu dying still seems like the most plausible, I unfortunately don't have one spare to check. I can still use the pc like that as it's not a very big problem, but I'm afraid there a risk for the rest of the components
!