Your question

Ibm thinkpad r40 processor upgrades

Last response: in CPUs
February 14, 2011 9:02:34 PM

Hello,
is there an up grade from 1.4 processor on the r40
February 14, 2011 9:36:41 PM

You cannot upgrade the CPU on a laptop.

To get better performance you must purchase a brand new laptop.
a c 133 à CPUs
February 14, 2011 10:05:27 PM

evilgenius134 said:

Not true you can upgrade a processor on a Laptop I have done a few, but it usually is not worth it. The thinkpad you have was available with a few different processors.

Intel Mobile Pentium M at 1.3GHz, 1.4GHz, and 1.5GHz
Intel Mobile Pentium 4 at 1.8, 1.9, 2.0, 2.2 or 2.4GHz

Looks like you could upgrade to the Pentium 4 2.4GHz but you will not see really any improvement since they are all too old to be relevant upgrades best bet is to just buy a new laptop.
Related resources
a c 446 à CPUs
February 14, 2011 11:20:48 PM

Depending on what type of performance you are looking for, the best bet maybe to simply buy a new laptop.

I have an old ThinkPad T40 with a Pentuim M 1.5GHz CPU. It's sole purpose is to make out going calls using Magic Jack.
February 21, 2013 8:32:13 AM

saaiello said:
Not true you can upgrade a processor on a Laptop I have done a few, but it usually is not worth it. The thinkpad you have was available with a few different processors.

Looks like you could upgrade to the Pentium 4 2.4GHz but you will not see really any improvement since they are all too old to be relevant upgrades best bet is to just buy a new laptop.

Hi .... Not quite true ... The R40 can only be upgraded with processors so long as they are "Banias" ..
So 1.7Ghz is the tops ... P4M will not work in these machines purely because thay are Dothan processors & as such the R40 Bios, even with the latest BIOS Version String 1PET65WW (1.33 ) will simply not see that the P4M CPU chip exists, as they were not in production when the (1.33) bios was written ... !
May 2, 2013 1:23:19 PM

deanothesaxman said:
saaiello said:

Hi .... Not quite true ... The R40 can only be upgraded with processors so long as they are "Banias" ..
So 1.7Ghz is the tops ... P4M will not work in these machines purely because thay are Dothan processors & as such the R40 Bios, even with the latest BIOS Version String 1PET65WW (1.33 ) will simply not see that the P4M CPU chip exists, as they were not in production when the (1.33) bios was written ... !

Are you sure about this? Please review Lenova's website concerning the detailed specs of this laptop (http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=migr-58209) prior to responding to me. I want to be 100% sure because I have a P4-M (?) that I am about to pull and install in my R40.

Quote:
Processor
Available processors:

Intel Mobile Pentium 4 Processor-M at 1.8, 1.9, 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4GHz
    Intel Mobile Celeron processor at 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0GHz
    Intel Pentium M Processor at 1.3, 1.4, or 1.5 GHz

Onboard L2 Cache:

Pentium M models have 1MB
    Pentium 4 models have 512 KB
    Celeron models have 256 KB

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology
May 2, 2013 7:10:17 PM

hafijur said:
saaiello said:
evilgenius134 said:

you do realise the pentium 4 is a huge downgrade. Its like going from a low clocked core 2 duo to a high clocked pentium d even though the pentium d is slower as is the case of the pentium 4 2.4ghz. A 1.4gzh pentium m would beat a 3ghz pentium 4 most tasks and sip like 1/6th of the power.

I owned an ibm r40 1.3ghz pentium m had 10 hour battery life. Anway I would stay put with the pentium m, you can't really upgrade much as the r40 came with the first pentium m chips.

I really appreciate the insight. The CPU I have right now is that same 1.3GHz Pentium M. It has that 1MB L2 cache, just like the spec sheet says vs. the lower amount on the P4s. Perhaps that is why it has always seemed quick enough for my tasks, including everything from word processing to basic graphic design to web design to re-sampling audio files. I was thinking that a P4 with more than double the clock rate might be faster, but the heating question has been holding me back. Your insight tipped the scale, and I have decided to be content with the 1.3Ghz Pentium M, 2GB RAM, and 7200RPM hard drive. If I really, really need the extra performance I'll look at a new laptop.

Thanks!
!