Excited about new gaming rig but just need re-assurance

boybythewater

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
hi all

time to upgrade my gaming rig now (mobo,cpu,mem,grafix card)

i been out of touch with the latest happenings in the h/w world etc..

old sys: intel core2duo 7200, 2 gb ram ,xfx raedon 4850 512mb pci xpress grafix card.win xp sp2[/i]

now this rig has served me proudly but its starting to show its age.

im just wondering what the next platform should be....
it seems clear that a few reputable hardware sites says sandy bridge is the way to go now.

so after some quick research it seems the 1155 bobo platform is looking good and so is the i52500 cpu.

is this true and with this build will i be happy?

im a very gaming/music orientated person, i just want this system to last say 2 years max before upgrading

also what grafix card would be good to go with this.total budget for card would be anything below 200USD.

P.S i have a meaty silver-stone element 700w psu so i wont be buying one yet

appreciate any input people...

cheers

Solution
The bug is in the intel chipset specifically with the SATA ports. Basically all four of your SATA 3GB/s ports will possibly degrade overtime and possibly affect hardware connected to them. The work around to this is to just use the SATA 6GB/s ports, however this will limit the number of SATA devices you can use to two(e.g. hard drives, blu ray drives etc). Intel have fixed this problem and are working on having the Sandy Bridge processors with fixed chipsets available to everyone by the end of april.

Your options are either wait till april or go with current i5/i7 series processors?

Hope that helps,
Jack

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4143/the-source-of-intels-cougar-point-sata-bug

evilgenius134

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
You can build a Sandy Bridge or wait for the results for the AMD Bulldozer CPUs that will be out in a few months and see if they perform well, since they will be priced very competitively.

But If you can't wait, an i5-2500 sandy Bridge CPU will do fine for years.

boybythewater

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
thanks, upon further reading im disturbed by this "p67 recall" issue, i dont understand, can someone pls explain whether list the cpus or mobo that are playing up..is there anything i should know??

thanks

ja9g08

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
The bug is in the intel chipset specifically with the SATA ports. Basically all four of your SATA 3GB/s ports will possibly degrade overtime and possibly affect hardware connected to them. The work around to this is to just use the SATA 6GB/s ports, however this will limit the number of SATA devices you can use to two(e.g. hard drives, blu ray drives etc). Intel have fixed this problem and are working on having the Sandy Bridge processors with fixed chipsets available to everyone by the end of april.

Your options are either wait till april or go with current i5/i7 series processors?

Hope that helps,
Jack

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4143/the-source-of-intels-cougar-point-sata-bug

Solution