Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD swap for Avatar 145A2 Ultrabook?

Last response: in Storage
March 3, 2013 3:32:59 PM

Hello all,

First post here. Anyhow I nervously purchased an Avatar 145A2 Ultrabook from NewEgg the other day (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)... the main reason I did was the price at the time ($550) and 17 positive reviews on NewEgg as well. Anyhow, there isn't much known about this company or hardly any information to be found about them, or this computer online. With the research I did, apparently you can swap the hybrid drive in this machine for a SSD provided its 7mm in size? I am an SSD newbie and this will be my first SSD purchase.

I'm wanting to purchase the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, but I'm not sure if this will fit inside of this machine? Can someone please advise?

Thanks!

Best solution

a c 311 G Storage
March 3, 2013 3:57:59 PM

Retail versions of the Samsung 840 and 840 Pro solid state drives are 7mm thick so you should not have any problems.
March 3, 2013 11:40:46 PM

Best answer selected by kwriley87.
m
l
Related resources
May 29, 2013 4:07:36 PM

kwriley87 said:
Hello all,

First post here. Anyhow I nervously purchased an Avatar 145A2 Ultrabook from NewEgg the other day (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)... the main reason I did was the price at the time ($550) and 17 positive reviews on NewEgg as well. Anyhow, there isn't much known about this company or hardly any information to be found about them, or this computer online. With the research I did, apparently you can swap the hybrid drive in this machine for a SSD provided its 7mm in size? I am an SSD newbie and this will be my first SSD purchase.

I'm wanting to purchase the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, but I'm not sure if this will fit inside of this machine? Can someone please advise?

Thanks!

It's not actually a hybrid but two drives. I know this because I bought it. The 500 gb drive died on me and I had to reinstall the OS on the SSD. Thinking of replacing the now dead hard drive with another SSD. So better than you expected I gues?
m
l
May 30, 2013 8:12:48 AM

You are correct, it has a 500GB regular hard drive with a 32GB stick of flash storage. I purchased a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB for this machine. I replaced the regular drive with this and removed the 32GB SSD stick all together. Ran great until I benchmarked my drive and realized I was getting half the speeds I should be getting. This was hard lesson #1 on buying from an unknown vendor.. the machine is SATA2 without being stated in the specs when I purchased this from NewEgg, I would have never purchased this machine knowing that.

Hard lesson #2... the display just died on me last night. This computer is 3 months old.. I just submitted an RMA to Avatar and hopefully they replace the machine fast.. because as soon as they do, I'm going to Ebay this POS.

Lesson learned.
m
l
!