What do I want in a new ethernet switch for my Xen OpenSSI cluster?

The last three sections of this Wikipedia Article list many features you might consider.

I think that I'll use 4 - 8 ports, no wireless technology (I don't think it's very reliable), & I don't know whether I should use an ethernet USB, or fiber wire.
11 answers Last reply
More about ethernet switch openssi cluster
  1. What's your budget? Are you referring to USB Ethernet adaptors?
  2. GhislainG said:
    What's your budget? Are you referring to USB Ethernet adaptors?

I don't have a budget for this, no spending limit. Sorry that I miss worded my original question, I didn't mean either USB or FireWire Ethernet adaptors (I edited the question).
  3. What do you mean by "I don't know whether I should use an ethernet USB, or fiber wire"? Are you looking for Gigabit Ethernet or fiber channel adaptors, switch and cards?
  4. GhislainG said:
    What do you mean by "I don't know whether I should use an ethernet USB, or fiber wire"? Are you looking for Gigabit Ethernet or fiber channel adaptors, switch and cards?

I just want an ethernet switch. I thought that they hooked to a computer via USB or FireWire.
  5. Don't your computers all have at least one Gigabit ports If so just hook up the switch via Cat5e or Cat6 cables like that site sells: http://www.optimization-world.com/products/catid/8.html
  6. isn't the port the one that connects to the router via ethernet cable?
  7. I've never seen that on a router. What router and type of Internet connection do you have?
  8. Sorry about the typo, I've edited it.
  9. Will you use a Gigabit switch and connect your systems via their Gigabit Ethernet port?
  10. Yes
  11. If this is for home use any regular gigabit switch will do. I don't think you'll need the features of a managed switch either, especially if it's a private cluster interconnect, you pretty much know exactly what traffic is hitting that switch.
Ask a new question

Read More

Ethernet Switch Wikipedia Ethernet Card Networking