RAM compatible with MB? Please excuse ignorance

enwudz

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Hello, this is my 2nd build. First was hitch-free and fabulous. Made me think I knew what I was doing.

2nd build ... no bells, no LEDs, nothing upon power-up. Multimeter says PSU is fine.

Question - is my GSKILL F3-12800CL7T RAM compatible with my Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Motherboard? This RAM is not listed on QVL, but MB manual says it supports DDR3/1600. Can someone explain to me why F3-12800CL7D would be on the QVL list while F3-12800CL7T is not?

Thanks

Solution
Board makers can't test all the models of ram; they don't have the time. If the gskill is non ecc desktop ram with 240 pins, it should work fine with the gigabyte board. If newegg carries it, check the specs for it under "details". Most of the ddr3 has timings of 9-9-9-24. And most of it runs fine at 1.6 volts, which is the default voltage on many boards.
Board makers can't test all the models of ram; they don't have the time. If the gskill is non ecc desktop ram with 240 pins, it should work fine with the gigabyte board. If newegg carries it, check the specs for it under "details". Most of the ddr3 has timings of 9-9-9-24. And most of it runs fine at 1.6 volts, which is the default voltage on many boards.

Solution