Sign in with
Your question

Looking to install a HDD, need help

Last response: in Storage
March 3, 2013 5:06:37 PM

Hello,

My computer seems a bit different than some of the tutorials I looked at. Im pretty confident I know its ok but just wondering if someone can look at these two photos:

http://imageshack.us/g/706/20130303145953.jpg/

Are those plugs the usual for SATA3? I know that they are L-Shaped, but are they generally that close? By the looks of my case its designed for easy swapping, but I just want to make sure. I checked inside aswell and it says SATA3, so looks good?

Looking to get a 250gb 10K RPM HDD to record onto.

Thanks!

More about : install hdd

March 3, 2013 5:58:49 PM

If they are made that way, it's because they can fit drives. And yes the plugs are very close, not like molex and ide.

- The Brownie
a b G Storage
March 3, 2013 6:02:37 PM

Yeah, one is the conecto to the motherboard, the other is the PSU connector

Forget the 10K Drive, go for a SSD
Related resources
March 3, 2013 6:05:40 PM

leandrodafontoura said:
Yeah, one is the conecto to the motherboard, the other is the PSU connector

Forget the 10K Drive, go for a SSD

I was actually just about to ask this, since I was doing some research on em.

Does a SATA 3 SDD use the same connectors as the HDD by chance? Or would I have to scrap using my picture's cages if I went with SSD?

Im mainly getting a second drive for recording onto, does SSD also have the better write speeds for such things?

Thanks
March 3, 2013 6:09:45 PM

Well it depends on the OPs budget. A 10000rpm disk is still an option if you do not want to spend too much on a SSD or need to do excessive amounts of writing.

A 10000RPM can hit 160MB/s read/write.

But yes an SSD has better write speeds than a mechanical disk but the difference is more distinct during reading.
March 3, 2013 6:13:05 PM

smeezekitty said:
Well it depends on the OPs budget. A 10000rpm disk is still an option if you do not want to spend too much on a SSD or need to do excessive amounts of writing.

A 10000RPM can hit 160MB/s read/write.

But yes an SSD has better write speeds than a mechanical disk but the difference is more distinct during reading.

Price doesnt overly matter, since the material will be deleted from the drive after use.
I think ill try for the SDD then, perhaps this one: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

Looking further it doesnt seem like I should have a problem fitting it into the easy swap case thingamabob, so all looks good.
March 3, 2013 6:32:49 PM

That is an MLC flash drive so it is a good choice for long write life.
!