Looking to install a HDD, need help :)

Hello,

My computer seems a bit different than some of the tutorials I looked at. Im pretty confident I know its ok but just wondering if someone can look at these two photos:

http://imageshack.us/g/706/20130303145953.jpg/

Are those plugs the usual for SATA3? I know that they are L-Shaped, but are they generally that close? By the looks of my case its designed for easy swapping, but I just want to make sure. I checked inside aswell and it says SATA3, so looks good?

Looking to get a 250gb 10K RPM HDD to record onto.

Thanks!
6 answers Last reply
More about looking install
  1. If they are made that way, it's because they can fit drives. And yes the plugs are very close, not like molex and ide.

- The Brownie
  2. Yeah, one is the conecto to the motherboard, the other is the PSU connector

Forget the 10K Drive, go for a SSD
  3. leandrodafontoura said:
    Yeah, one is the conecto to the motherboard, the other is the PSU connector

Forget the 10K Drive, go for a SSD

I was actually just about to ask this, since I was doing some research on em.

Does a SATA 3 SDD use the same connectors as the HDD by chance? Or would I have to scrap using my picture's cages if I went with SSD?

Im mainly getting a second drive for recording onto, does SSD also have the better write speeds for such things?

Thanks
  4. Well it depends on the OPs budget. A 10000rpm disk is still an option if you do not want to spend too much on a SSD or need to do excessive amounts of writing.

A 10000RPM can hit 160MB/s read/write.

But yes an SSD has better write speeds than a mechanical disk but the difference is more distinct during reading.
  5. smeezekitty said:
    Well it depends on the OPs budget. A 10000rpm disk is still an option if you do not want to spend too much on a SSD or need to do excessive amounts of writing.

A 10000RPM can hit 160MB/s read/write.

But yes an SSD has better write speeds than a mechanical disk but the difference is more distinct during reading.

Price doesnt overly matter, since the material will be deleted from the drive after use.
    I think ill try for the SDD then, perhaps this one: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1938364&CatId=5300

Looking further it doesnt seem like I should have a problem fitting it into the easy swap case thingamabob, so all looks good.
  6. That is an MLC flash drive so it is a good choice for long write life.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Computers Storage