Sign in with
Your question

Question about video cards

Last response: in Systems
November 20, 2010 3:46:06 AM

Hey everyone.

I was just wondering something before I begin ordering parts and assembling my PC.. The motherboard I am planning to use does not have an integrated video card. Now this might sound like a stupid question to you, but bear with me. Don't graphics cards need drivers installed for them to operate? So how will I be able to install the graphics cards drivers or even do anything with the computer if I can't see anything on the screen? Like don't I need to use some sort of integrated video card to be able to boot up, install windows, and install the graphics cards drivers for it to be able to work?

Doesn't make a while lot of sense I know, but I was just wondering.

More about : question video cards

November 20, 2010 3:57:31 AM

Windows has some default graphics drivers that will get you up and running until you can download/install the drivers specific to your card.
November 20, 2010 4:22:50 AM

coldsleep said:
Windows has some default graphics drivers that will get you up and running until you can download/install the drivers specific to your card.

Yeah but what about before you get into windows. Like the bios etc.

Also, is that the same with a Linux live cd?
Related resources
November 20, 2010 6:18:02 AM

So you're saying if I just hook up my monitor to the pci graphics card, the first time I boot the computer, I should get something on the screen?
November 20, 2010 2:05:15 PM

Yes
November 20, 2010 4:34:41 PM

Correct, the BIOS and all install CDs/DVDs just work.

Display drivers are really only needed for high resolutions and fancy graphics (Windows Aero, Compiz effects in Linux, etc.).
!