New Graphics Card Caused IR and Wireless Card to Stop Working

raynestarrw

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
I bought a HP Pavilion Elite m9715f a year ago. It came with a remote control which I used to control Windows Media Player from my bed.

I decided to upgrade the graphics card from the ATI Radeon HD 4350 to a Diamond ATI Radeon HD 4850 (1gig gddr3) and when I did, my internal IR sensor and my wireless internet card stopped working.

Anyone know what this could possibly be? I'll submit any additional info I need to.

Thanks!

raynestarrw

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

No. I just checked. In fact, the devices aren't even listed. (the IR sensor and the Wireless Internet Card)

raynestarrw

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

Windows 7 64bit. I just reinstalled the network driver from HP, but it still isn't showing in device manager.

raynestarrw

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

I reinstalled that driver because that is the only one that came up as an option that had anything to do with network/internet on the HP site. As for my wireless card. I have not touched it at all since I bought the computer.

Here's what I know:

1. Before I installed my new graphics card (in which all I did was yank out the old one from the PCIE slot, and insert the new) my remote control responded to me and whenever I went to look for wireless networks they would pop up as they would normally.

2. After installation of the new graphics card, I can no longer view any wireless networks anymore as they don't even come up, my remote control doesn't work, and both of those devices don't show up in my device manager anymore.

This is confusing, because all I did was unplug a graphics card, and swap it out. Hope this clarifies some things.

Well if you go back to using your old graphics card do the wireless card and the IR work? I am saying this because normally when there is a conflict between devices the conflict is shown by a yellow pling in device manager. As you have no conflict in device manager and none of the problem devices are even shown then I would suspect that you have dislodged or accidentally disconnected them. Check that the IR device is enabled in the BIOS and try to reinstall the wireless drivers.

raynestarrw

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

I can try to swap out the old and new and see if they come back online.

How do I check if it is enabled in the BIOS....and exactly what/where is the BIOS so I can check it?