Sign in with
Your question

400W PSU recommended...I have 220W

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 27, 2010 2:06:47 AM

I have a pretty decent video card installed, but worried about how it fits due to a small piece on the motherboard. wanting to change it out to "SAPPHIRE 100293L Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Card", but the recommended PSU is 400W. I have a Gateway SX2801-01e with a Chicony CPB09-D220R (which I can't find anything about online)....my case is tiny and I'm not sure where I can find a different PSU that will fit or if they make external PSU's or not. What would happen if I ran this new card with the current PSU? I haven't bought anything yet, but I really wanted to get the new graphics card and it needs to be able to support certain games and still be low profile :-(...(remind me to never buy a slim compact case PC again).
I have a couple friends that can help me with some stuff and I know a little bit of my own, but neither of them know anything about parts for slim cases.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System: Windows 7 - 64-bit
Ram: 6gb
Processor: Pentium Dual-Core E5500 @ 2.80GHz
Hard Drive: 1TB
Expansion Slots: 1 - PCIe x16; 1 - PCIe x1
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2010 3:14:19 AM

Just because it works doesnt mean it will last. It would be best if you bought a new PSU they are so cheap, its not worth risking your system. Also Try to find one that high quality like Thermaltake.

Here is one that would be great for your system!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thermaltake is great I have a 450W one its great it can supple enough juice for a mid end computer fine.

Easily powers my GTS 250
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
September 27, 2010 3:32:01 AM

Slim PC, right? So your PC will only accept low profile card like HD5570 (well, that's the best low profile PC) and can work with your 220W PSU. That card is extremely efficient.

Next time, build your own machine. :) 
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
September 27, 2010 3:39:47 AM

1. your current PSU will run the ATI 5570.

2. thermaltake has junk PSU in their under 600w selection. Plus the one that was linked is an ATX one so it won't fit in a slim line case.

3. if you really want to upgrade your PSU, this Seasonic is about as good as you will find.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!