shemasire

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Hello,
I have a cpu that shuts down automatically after less than 3 minutes of use. I've replaced almost everything..got a new power supply, fan, new motherboard, new ram but still it has the same problem. tried placing thermal paste between the processor and fan but still has the same issue. It has nothing to do with the DVD drive or hard disk cause even if they're disconnected, the cpu still shuts down.What could be the problem?

You are overheating if it just shut down like that. When you put thermal compound on did you clean all the old compound off first?

I would say try cleaning off the old compound with rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth then reapply it you do not need alot the most common mistake people make is they think they need alot of compound for it to work , but in reality the more compound you use the worse the temperatures will get. All you need is a BB size amount right in the center of the CPU and then put the heatsink back on make sure it is put on with an even amount of pressure all around and that's it. You should not see any compound come out the sides if you do then you put to much on and you will have to clean it off again and redo it.

All the thermal compound is doing is filling in any imperfections that might be in the metal from the manufacturing process.