Can a PCIE Graphic Card Kill a Mainboard?

JustConfused

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
(Ill try for help here too.)
Thats the question.
Got a new mainboard plugged in CPU,Memory,Power supply,Keyboard and a DVD Rom drive.
Connected Onboard Video to monitor.
Turned on system, set up Bios and rebooted.
Turned on system booted from DVD (Testing CD) To test CPU. Tested Fine. Restart.
Turned on system booted from DVD (Testing CD) To run Memtest. Tested Fine. Restart.
Turned on system booted from DVD (LiveCD Ubuntu) Just to mess around. Fine. Restart.
Turned on system booted from DVD (LiveCD Slax) Just to mess around. Fine. Powered Off.
Ok Time to install PCIE Graphic Card seeing everything seems fine.
Connected PCIE Video to monitor.
Turned on system No display. CPU Fan Spins Power Supply runs. Ok. Restart.
Turned on system No display and No response from DVD Rom. CPU Fan Spins Power Supply runs. Power off.
Turned on system No display and response from DVD Rom but does not sound like its booting from it. CPU Fan Spins Power Supply runs. Power off.
Reset/Cleared Bios.
Turned on system No display and response from DVD Rom but does not sound like its booting from it. CPU Fan Spins Power Supply runs. Power off.
Turned on system No display and No response from DVD Rom. CPU Fan Spins Power Supply runs. Power off.
Removed PCIE Graphic Card.
Reset/Cleared Bios.
Connected Onboard Video to monitor.
Removed CPU,Memory and DVD rom and tested on spare motherboard. ALL fine. Cant test PCIE Graphic dont have spare PCIE compatible mainboard.
This is where mainboard went back and was replaced. Deemed Faulty.
Now as per subject it looks like installing the PCIE Graphic card did something to the motherboard.
Now Ive been testing Computer parts for years in various configurations.
Good CPUs,Bad Mainboards,Good Memory,Bad Graphics.
Bad CPU's,Good Mainboards,Bad Memory,Good graphics.
Good CPUs,Good Mainboards,Bad Memory,Bad Graphics.
You can guess the rest of the combinations.
But I have not ever noticed any of the combinations when one was proved to be good being killed by putting it with something bad.
Now I have a replacement but I don't know what to do about the PCIE Graphic Card.
Suggestions?

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
When you installed the PCIe Graphics card it might not have been seated well and made your bios display PCIe which was not working, so you took it out and plugged it into your onboard but your motherboard didn't switch back to onboard boot because it malfunctioned? That or your psu wasn't powerful enough for the graphics card and when you installed it it wasn't getting enough amps so it attempting to pull more power from the psu and made the psu fail since it's auto shut off malfunctioned or wasn't working and fried your motherboard?
Eh, computers.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Honestly, I think you might have had a faulty motherboard from the get go, I've never heard of a bad GPU killing a mobo. Honestly if I read your issues, my first guess might have been a power supply issue as it appeared that certain parts weren't functioning correctly, but that's me. If you did verify that your PSU was fine, then the mobo would have been my next guess.

JustConfused

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Just an Update.
After some reading about 20 and 24 pin connectors I thought Id give this another go.
Now the Mainboard/Motherboard showed in the manual 20 Pin power supply was fine to use and there was a sticker over the last 4 so the 20 pin went in.
450W Power supply 24 pin capable sata power etc. No issue there.
That gets me thinking "You didnt connect the Last 4 Pins for power to the Mainboard/Motherboard you plugged in the PCIE it tried to get more than it could Bang Mainboard/Motherboard Dead"
Lets try this again.
The PCIE is a 8600GT Max Power Draw: 43 W according to gpureview.com
I got a spare MSI board with a PCIE Slot I plug in the PCIE and boot it UP. No Display Shock. But theres these weird clicking noises not beeps clicking no Hard drive connected. Turned it off.
Turned it on again. No Display. Weird clicking noises. Then BEEP. System wants to boot. Turned it off.
Turned it on again. No Display. Weird clicking noises. Then BEEP. System wants to boot. Turned it off. Again.
Hmmm PCIE has not killed the board I think.
Pulled PCIE 8600GT Insert a Verified Working PCIE Graphic Card.
Turned it on again. Display. BEEP. System wants to boot. Mainboard/Motherboard was not killed.
So thats another question did not plugging in the extra 4 pin kill the first Mainboard/Motherboard or was it not as fault tolerant as the MSI one?
I mean the MSI board still works and still tried to boot with a clearly NOT working 8600GT PCIE Installed.
Thoughts?