Contacmatic CPU

pedroluizcs

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Hi.

My computer is shutting down when I start it, so I cleaned all the hardware(just don´t cleaned the processor) and tried to use but it shuts down again at the beginning.

So I took of the CPU and cleaned it too.
I used Contacmatic on my entire processor (amd athlon xp 2400+ socket 462) and after this it didn´t work anymore.

I know we can use contacmatic on motherbopards, memory, videocards.

Can´t we use contacmatic on processors? Or was coincidence I used it and it stopped to work.
I used not only on processor connectors but used it on entire processor.

Thanks in advance,
Pedro Luiz

PS: Sorry about bad english.

pedroluizcs

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Resume:
Computer was freezing until appear windows loading bar.
I cleaned all hardware and same happen.
I cleaned the processor and the pc stopped powering on. When I take off the processor the PC turn on (the lights turn on). When I insert the processor the PC does not power on.

Bios reset, removed and installed the RAM now the PC with processor installed turn on for 2 seconds and turn off. Without processor it turn on (the lights turn on).

PS: I found an issue on asus page that the bios of a7s33 had a problem with athlon 2000+ so I made a bios bottable cd to upgrade the bios but I can´t because it turn off in 2 seconds.

Indy-Go

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
was it working just fine b4 you cleaned the components? if so, then its not a bios problem.

look at your processor, any bent pins or missing pins from it? might have damaged them while you were cleaning it.

In the future - I would recommend not cleaning the components for any reason. Just my opinion.

pedroluizcs

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Understand but it wasn´t working, it was freezing until appear windows load bar.
It was freezing at post. Sometimes before.
So I found that was not windows problem.
I tested with other psu and was not it.

I am trying to search another socket 462 processor to test.

The weird is when I used contacmatic on processor the pc stopped to power on when processor was inserted. But now resetting bios it power on and off for 2 seconds and it was happening too sometimes it was powering on and off for 2 seconds.

So I thought was coincidence or we can´t use contacmatic on processors?

pedroluizcs

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Indy-Go
Yes, I turn off the pc. I turn off the no-break. Make all the things and turn on again.

Saint19
I checked it and now it is powering on and enter BIOS too, so I set it to 1500mhtz, click f10 then save settings Yes but after this it power off.

Tried 2 times. The computer starts and enter bios, I set 1500mhtz click f10 and save it and PC turn off.

pedroluizcs

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I have two modules of RAM.
Tried each 1 in all 3 slots and same happens.

Now I am not trying to find another processor to test, now I am trying to find another RAM module. =)

Just to know before doing all write here sometimes it was entering bios sometimes but freezing there too, it was freezing in every place.

Now it is not freezing anymore but it is turning off after I set 1500mhtz or 2000mhtz at bios click f10 and save.

Indy-Go

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Almost sounds like its shorting / do you have any unnecessary metal types touching the board? loose screws trapped behind the mobo? bent pins on the processor / missing pins? bent pins where the ram is or the ram not seated properly?

pedroluizcs

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Indy-Go and saint19

I took off the 3v baterry and insert it and now it entered bios i set 1500mhtz, click f10 save, it boots again and now load the bottable cd.
I am updating the bios right now.

Thanks a lot for the help. saint19 and Indy-Go =)

The solution is 1st reset bios, 2nd clean memory and 3rd take off and insert again the 3 volts battery.

pedroluizcs

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Oh no!

I was into aflash.exe program and when i was going to update I thought, 1st i will backup the old bios so I exit the program turned off the pc, plugged the HD to backup the bios to it.

Now when I try to turn on it power on for 2 seconds and power off again.

Could it be because the processor is overheating? I turned off the pc and touched the heat dissipate over processor and under cooler and it was very hot, is it normal? Only 5 minutes on and it is very hot?

pedroluizcs

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
My entire PC is very hot motherboards, processor, memories.

I turned it off for 5 mnutes and turned it on again, now it is working again.
Now I think the problem is that everything is overheating.
Could be it?

pedroluizcs

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I turned on cold air conditioner and a fan and directs it to the pc now it is not very hot anymore.

I update the bios to the lastest version sucessfully. (Didn´t make a backup because aflash does not allow to access the hard disk. Only allows to backup if I was using a floppy drive but no problem. All was sucessfully).

Now is happenning again. When I turn on the pc it goes to bios and appear that message "During the last boot-up your system hung for an improper CPU speed settings. Yout system is now working in safe mode. To optimize the system performance and reliability, make sure the CPU speed conforms to the specifications os your CPU", then I click f10 save and PC turns off.

Indy-Go
"Almost sounds like its shorting / do you have any unnecessary metal types touching the board? loose screws trapped behind the mobo? bent pins on the processor / missing pins? bent pins where the ram is or the ram not seated properly?"
None of it, everything about it is ok.

When you re-installed the CPU, did you put new thermal paste on the heat sink before installing the heatsink/fan?

pedroluizcs

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
saint19
I did it. When I upgraded the bios it advise me too load default bios settings but when I choose f10 and saved it the PC turned off.
But it loaded the default settings.

clarkjd
I didn´t do that because I don´t have it, but a friend have and I will ask for it and will use.

-=-=

I turned off the pc for 1 hour then it loaded windows and is working fine now,
but I will use thermal paste tomorrow and test it more.

Thanks everybody.

Don't forget to clean ALL the old thermal paste off before putting the new paste on! :sol:

pedroluizcs

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Hi and thanks everybody!

I've got a new socket 462 processor and tested it.
The problem was it, it was heating too fast and heating all near but when I changed it everything goes ok.