Sign in with
Your question

How to get SPDIF from motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 19, 2011 1:41:48 PM

Hi,

I just got a THX compatible ASRock 970 extreme 4 board. It has co-axial and toslink out in its I/O panel. I found the SPDIF connector on the board but there is no cable to connect it or to what???

How can I connect this?

thanks

More about : spdif motherboard

a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2011 2:35:47 PM

umm do you need SPDIF for any particular reason?
Not aware any motherboard does come with that cable cause hardly anyone uses it.
m
l
October 19, 2011 2:45:53 PM

i want to connect my computer with toslink to my Z5500 logitech speaker set. I can't use the SPDIF without that cable. One end goes to motherboard connector....but where does the second end go????
m
l
Related resources
October 19, 2011 3:20:25 PM

i know where they are thanks for the help. But you can't use them unless you connect these ports to the motherboard right? Where would they get their power from otherwise?

I just read that the SPDIF connector on the board needs to be connected to the VGA card.
Unless these I/O ports are powered by the board itself and the other ones are just for VGA card if it has SPDIF on its slot.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
October 19, 2011 3:42:01 PM

The Optical SPDIF is (laser) there's no power, the laser is powered off the 24-pin MOBO main, and you need a 'Toslink' cable -> e.g. cheaper 6' http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The SPDIF doesn't need to be connected to the GPU, however IF you use an HDMI (video & audio) connector then you'd need to loop back an 'audio' connection to the Z-5500. So use an DVI -> Monitor and Optical MOBO -> Z-5500.

Otherwise is the 3mm connections, right, (1x3) and (1x3) as shown above; Front/Rear/Center. The quality of the speakers you'd never hear the difference.
m
l
October 19, 2011 3:54:36 PM

thanks a lot for the help. I thought the optical out from the panel would not work if its not connected to VGA...

thanks again
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
October 19, 2011 4:02:47 PM

You also need to change the Audio output in the Control Panel.

Example:
m
l
!