Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ssd noob question

Last response: in Storage
March 3, 2013 10:27:33 PM

Im buying the MSI Mpower 1155 mobo . It has two sata 6 ports and four sata 3 ports . I'm thinking of starting with a 128g sata 6 like possibly the Samsung 840 pro for my os , antivirus and programs and some storage till I buy another . Once my storage starts filling up I was planning on sata 3 drives for bulk storage. This is all new to me so please correct me if I'm way off .. Thanx in advance :) 

More about : ssd noob question

a c 523 G Storage
March 3, 2013 11:27:45 PM

rufus_22 said:
Once my storage starts filling up I was planning on sata 3 drives for bulk storage.

Your talking about SATA 3Gb/s HDDs, right? If so, that's a good idea.

If you're talking about SSDs then it's a bad idea. SATA 3Gb/s SSDs are "old tech". You want to buy a SATA 6Gb/s SSD even if you're going to connect it to a SATA 3Gb/s port.
m
l
March 4, 2013 8:23:19 AM

So if I have a sata 3 ( 6Gbpersec )ssd attached to a sata 2 port even though it would be at the 3Gb transfer rate its still better ?? ( excuse my noobiness)
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 523 G Storage
March 4, 2013 2:16:06 PM

Correct.
m
l
a b G Storage
March 4, 2013 2:23:27 PM

The only advantage to buying a SSD 6Gbps and using a SATA 3Gbps port is you won't have to buy another SSD if/when you move it to a 6Gbps port.

Buy the SSDs you can, use them on the fastest ports you can that are not on a separate chip. (or native SSD ports) For storage space just buy big hdds and hook them up anywhere.
m
l

Best solution

a c 353 G Storage
March 4, 2013 4:08:10 PM

Yes, for a sata III (6) SSD and stick on sata 6 port.
HDDs, buy either Sata II or Sata III HDD and stick on SATA II port.
.. SATA III HDD do not saturate a sata II so only advantge placing on a sata III port is burst speed which is NO biggy. AND you only have the two sata III ports - The 2nd one reserved for your "2nd" SSD.

As Dereck47 indicated, best bet is go with the newer Sata III SSDs.
As a Side comment the biggest boost placing a SATA III SSD on Sata III is in sequencial performance, which is the least important paramer for a OS + Program drive. There is not a significant boost in 4 K random performance which is the Main factor in OS + Progrm drive.

Example, Last night I stuck a OLD WD Blu SSD (Sata II) in my core-2-duo Laptop (Sata II) and win 7 loads in under 20 sec. Vs 15 sec for my Crucial M4 (Sata III SSD) in my i5-2410M (sata III) laptop.
March 4, 2013 8:01:44 PM

Im trying to avoid hdd's altogether due to space restrictions and the overall design of my build , also , due to budgetary constraints with this build I was planning on a single sata III 128 to get started then follow with higer capacity sata III 's as my budget allows and diminishing space requires . I know using sata III's in a sata 'II may not be ideal but I'll likely upgrade to a better mobo with more sataIII ports in a year or two so I guess my thinking is to eventially have perhaps a pair of 128's and a pair of 256's .. that being said I'm going to re-read all your posts and try to learn a thing or two :) 
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
March 5, 2013 1:42:43 AM

You said "Im buying the MSI Mpower 1155 mobo . It has two sata 6 ports and four sata 3 ports"

So no problem with the first 2 SSDs.
After that, until you get a MB with more sata III ports, as you said, just stick them on a sata II port.
m
l
March 7, 2013 6:35:55 PM

Best answer selected by rufus_22.
m
l
!