Sign in with
Your question

Computer Stands Question

Last response: in Components
February 15, 2011 12:17:21 PM

I don't know if this is going to be the right forum or even if it should be asked in Tom's Hardware.

Anyways, I need a computer stand. I have carpet and I have always put my case on the carpet. I've recently learned I should not do so by several of my friends. I'm looking for something extremely cheap. I was thinking of making it myself with some wood. Thinking maybe a 2x4 (cut into 4 for legs) and a small sheet of plywood for the top of it & raise it about 4" or so off the ground.

Would this be sufficient? Would/Should I have anything on it to help hold the case in place? I don't normally move my feet to that side of my desk so I'm not worried about hitting it with my feet, but I do drop things & things fall off my desk to that side.

I know I probably should, for extra "insurance" from having the case fall over, but would it be needed?
What size top would I need to make if it I went this route?
Would 4" be high enough or should it be higher?
I will be using 690 II Advanced Case so the PSU is at the bottom & it will be sucking air from the bottom.
February 15, 2011 12:29:03 PM

Why did they tell you not to put your case on carpet? I have had mine on carpet for many years, right now my one at school is on a 1x8 board that forms the base of the leg for my desk thats the only reason its not just sitting on the carpet. Even with the 690 II Advanced, you could always just have the PSU draw air in from the case not from the carpet and you would no longer need to worry about it.

Cases are pretty bottom heavy so i wouldnt worry about it falling over, especially being a bottom mounted PSU you have a lot of weight down low.

Even just putting it on a 1x10 would be plenty, and easier than making a stand with 4 legs, plus since its sitting flat on the floor it wont warp at all.
m
l
February 15, 2011 12:38:51 PM

They didn't tell me why just said that it shouldn't be on carpet. Maybe static electricity?

My current case is top mounted, and it killed 2 OCZ power supplies. Don't know why or how, but OCZ has replaced both...will receive the 3rd unit Wednesday, instead of StealthXStream 600(1st psu) or 700w(2nd psu), it's going to be StealthXstream II 700w.

I'd rather not lose this one. I only bought the 600w in Dec of 09.

I'm pretty stupid when it comes to what lumber looks like. What's a 1x10? I'm assuming 1" by 10"? Would that be enough to avoid the dust bunnies? I'd like to get the cooler air from outside the case to keep the PSU longer (longer life span).
m
l
Related resources
February 15, 2011 12:43:38 PM

I have heard about a surprising number of StealthXStream units failing, i think it was a design issue rather than what you may have done to the units, the StealthXStream is a different platform and isnt supposed to have those issues.

The case is grounded through the PSU casing straight to earth ground so you could hit the metal case with a hell of a lot of power and everything inside will be just fine so static isnt something you need to worry about too much, but if you have pets getting it a bit off the ground can be quite helpful against the hair buildup.

A 1x10 would be 1 inch tall and 10 inches wide, normally you get one or two free cuts so they should be able to cut it to slightly longer than the length of your case for you.
m
l
February 15, 2011 12:52:40 PM

would 1 inch off the floor be enough or should I put a few together? I was thinking 4" or so off the floor.

I don't have pets, so fur/hair isn't a problem. Just don't want the PUS to suck in dust bunnies. Then again, the case does have that fan filtered. I guess just clean it once a month or so?
m
l
February 15, 2011 3:58:58 PM

Went to the local lumber store, they went ahead and cut me a small piece of plywood, and a 2x4. The plywood will be the top and they cust the 2x4 into 4 strips that encircle the top, very sturdy, I might add.

On a side note:
As I was heading out the door to go to Lowes then the Lumber store, UPS showed up with the very case I'm trying to raise off the floor. a good 10 hours earlier than expected.
m
l
February 15, 2011 6:22:35 PM

That is a lot cheaper than the way I went. But they don't sell that online and I don't have an Ikea in my state.

Total cost for me was $30 (including buying a hammer)
m
l
February 15, 2011 6:26:24 PM

trickynick said:
That is a lot cheaper than the way I went. But they don't sell that online and I don't have an Ikea in my state.

Total cost for me was $30 (including buying a hammer)

tricky you should really screw that together
much better then nails.
Find some old guy like me it's like a one beer job.
m
l
!