Sign in with
Your question

GTX 480 - Overheating

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
September 27, 2010 9:18:00 AM

Hi there,

I recently installed a GTX480 on my system.

As soon as I start playing games (Mafia 2; GTA 4: Liberty city) it quickly rises to 105 degrees C, and then the fan shoot up to 4000+ RPM too cool it down?

I have enough ventilation and 8 case fans.

Any ideas?

Thanks

More about : gtx 480 overheating

a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 27, 2010 9:20:06 AM

Have the cards fan running at 80 - 100% before you start gaming.
Anonymous
September 27, 2010 9:22:17 AM

Why would I need the fan to be running so high? I don't believe that was the intention from nVidia
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 27, 2010 9:27:44 AM

Ok if you don't like you're fan up that high just double from when it stock and see what happens.
Anonymous
September 27, 2010 9:32:11 AM

I did try, but for some odd reason I cant save the profile.

Std was 20%, I took it up to 40% pressed save and it was unable.

September 27, 2010 9:36:43 AM

i think mousemonkey is right, and the gtx 480 can go far hotter, so after the gameplay just lower the speed
September 27, 2010 10:50:55 AM

Quote:
I did try, but for some odd reason I cant save the profile.

Std was 20%, I took it up to 40% pressed save and it was unable.

is it on the latest driver try using third party apps
Anonymous
September 27, 2010 12:24:48 PM

Do you guys know of any 3RD party apps that allows me to control the speed of the fan?
September 27, 2010 1:37:19 PM

I would say poor case airflow, but since you say you've got that covered. Try re-applying the TIM on the card, or could be a defective card. Sounds way to hot for normal use.

Could also be a faulty card. I've heard of the fans not working properly before, get a program like GPU-Z so you can monitor the fans actual speed.
September 27, 2010 1:38:24 PM

What PC case do you have? What other hardware do you have in your PC? Better list down the specs of your machine.
September 27, 2010 1:50:49 PM

Do fans in case exhaust air or sucks atmospheric air in?
If exhausts:
you have enough ventilation that's good but since warm air is lighter and goes up maybe your 80 piece of fans are not allowing cold air to enter inside coz your fans are exhausting it.

If sucks in:
make sure your atmosphere is cool and dust free.This is important because hot atmospheric air also rises up there and no cool air remain for graphics card.
Anonymous
September 27, 2010 2:05:22 PM

Specs
CPU - Intel QX9770 Extreme -3.2Ghz (No overclock) (Coolermaster V8 Cooler)
M/B - ASUS P5Q-E
GFX - ASUS GTX480 (No overclock)
RAM - 8GB DDR2 Samsung (4x2GB)
PSU 1010W coolermaster
HDD 3x 1.5TB Seagate
DVDRW
Case - 690 Coolermaster (7 x case fans)
LCD - 2 x 26" Samsung T260

Anonymous
September 27, 2010 2:10:59 PM

Fans are setup right. The lower fans are sucking in the cold air, and the top fans are used to exhaust. And the side panel has a fan blowing cold air directly onto the CPU.
Anonymous
September 27, 2010 2:37:29 PM

Directly onto the GPU I mean...
September 27, 2010 3:07:45 PM

Do you have the 2 side fans blowing in ?
The lower side fan should help provide cool air for the GTX 480.

How do you control the case fans? Directly powered or attached to fan controllers from the motherboarda?

The fans feeding cool air should be set at higher speed. If you have temperature problem you may want to directly control the fans feeding cool air to the case. Tune it down when you get acceptable results.

Motherboard controlled fans don't relate to other hardware temperature (i.e. GPU) so it may drive the fans at lower speed even when the GPU is rising above 90c.

What is your ambient(room) temperature?
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 27, 2010 3:39:29 PM

It might be worth playing about with the way the fans are set as airflow does not always do what you expect it to with a given fan configuration, my gaming rig for example gives the best results with lots of negative pressure i.e four out of five fans set as exhaust and one as an inlet.
September 27, 2010 5:32:17 PM

Quote:
Hi there,

I recently installed a GTX480 on my system.

As soon as I start playing games (Mafia 2; GTA 4: Liberty city) it quickly rises to 105 degrees C, and then the fan shoot up to 4000+ RPM too cool it down?

I have enough ventilation and 8 case fans.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I know this isn't very helpful but your problem is exactly the reason I chose a 5970 over a 480 when my GTX295 died for the same reason's I think NVIDA need to address this problem urgently!
a c 386 Î Nvidia
September 27, 2010 6:08:34 PM

The card is faulty (I have the same one). You should never see anything above 91c and 75% fan with the setting on auto. You also should idle at a very quiet 44% fan.

You have plenty of case ventilation, and the card's fan auto setting is obviously working correctly. If anything, your fan is not responding quickly enough to the change in conditions, which is a defect. 105c is the max limit for the card, and the fact that you are reaching it at 100% fan tells me that something is wrong with the card that a manual fan profile may cover up, but not fix.

If you want to check fan speeds, temps for your card, or try a custom fan profile, Afterburner is the utility to use:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-2.0.0-Final-dow...
September 27, 2010 8:30:53 PM

Interesting, I have a 480, and mine doesn't ever hit 70' C (Even in Furmark). Definitely try raising the fan speed (Try MSI afterburner - google how to use it with non-MSI cards)
Edit: MattO17secs beat me to it
Anonymous
September 28, 2010 6:26:04 AM

I played around with a few settings. The fan was set to 20%; I pushed it up to 50% before I started Star Craft 2, and it never went above 70 degrees. So it seems the problem is solved. What is the default fan % on the 480? Cause I think 20% is too low without being dynamic. It only seems to speed up from default once its reaches the threshold.
September 28, 2010 10:57:24 AM

Quote:
I played around with a few settings. The fan was set to 20%; I pushed it up to 50% before I started Star Craft 2, and it never went above 70 degrees. So it seems the problem is solved. What is the default fan % on the 480? Cause I think 20% is too low without being dynamic. It only seems to speed up from default once its reaches the threshold.

20% is definitely too low. The default is 44%, I run mine at 70%.
a c 386 Î Nvidia
September 28, 2010 3:19:31 PM

How are you checking fan speeds? Idle on Auto fan should be 44%. If you use Afterburner, make sure the fan slider is set to Auto (be sure to click "Apply"). Then check to see if the setting is at 44%. If so, then your problem is likely solved. It should only go up to the mid-70%'s when playing games. You can try a custom fan profile, but for me, I don't see the point if Auto fan works adequately.
!