Memtest+ Unexpected Interrupt - Halting

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Blue Screen
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
October 19, 2011 4:21:39 PM

I've been having problems with BSOD / Freezes / Crash Restarts for the last several weeks. my original post on the issue is:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/323233-31-random-free...

The reason i'm posting here now is I ran MemTest+ over night and below are my results:

IMAG0147

IMAG0146

Is this my RAM, CPU or Mother Board causing the error?

More about : memtest unexpected interrupt halting

a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2011 4:38:08 PM

Memtest test the RAM so that looks like the issue. Did you test one DIMM at a time or with all DIMMs in place? I'd test the individual DIMMs so you can identify the propblem one when your RMA them for replacement.
m
l
a c 114 } Memory
a c 283 V Motherboard
October 19, 2011 4:39:35 PM

1) Make certain that you have the latest memtest86+ version. Older versions had a problem with sandy bridge, perhaps there is an amd issue.

2) Verify that your ram is in the proper slots, as your manual mandates.

3) When memtest detects an error with the ram, it reports it, and keeps on going.
Your error indicates to me that the problem is with the cpu, or possibly the motherboard.

4) Check to see if there is a motherboard bios update that may address the problem. Ram issues are often fixed later.

5) If you get nowhere, I think I would try to rma the cpu first.
m
l
Related resources
October 19, 2011 8:54:17 PM

1) Done have newest version

2) done

3) I ran Prime95 on my computer for 2 hours. When I came back my computer was completely off, when i tried to turn it back on if failed to boot, it loaded the Motherboard screen then went to a black screen with a blinking cursor. After 4 attempts it loaded and tried to Resume windows from when it turned off while running Prime95.. Resume windows failed. Next attempt windows loaded fine.

The biggest constant i seem to notice when my computer fails to load to the motherboard screen is that the CPU fan fails to spin.. Its getting power because if i flick it with my finger it starts going, but its failing to turn over by itself.

4) Flashed the bios last week.
m
l
a c 114 } Memory
a c 283 V Motherboard
October 19, 2011 11:16:19 PM

Is it possible that your psu is of low quality or old, or bad?

Otherwise, I would rma the motherboard first.
It is most unusual to see a bad cpu.
m
l
October 20, 2011 12:24:50 AM

This is the current PSU i am running:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-153-...

I don't think its my cpu.. i monitor the temps while they do tent to run high it never goes over 60 degrees C.

You might be right in that its my PSU. The crashes are worse with my 5770 than it was when i put in the 5670. So maybe its not the cards its the PSU havn't trouble pushing it.
m
l
a c 114 } Memory
a c 283 V Motherboard
October 20, 2011 2:53:10 AM

danhazelwood said:
This is the current PSU i am running:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-153-...

I don't think its my cpu.. i monitor the temps while they do tent to run high it never goes over 60 degrees C.

You might be right in that its my PSU. The crashes are worse with my 5770 than it was when i put in the 5670. So maybe its not the cards its the PSU havn't trouble pushing it.

In theory, the power is there.
Some of the newegg feedback indicate quality problems.
Can you test with a different psu?
m
l
October 20, 2011 3:45:16 AM

well i got a 400 watt one that came with my gf's $40 micro atx case.. lawl

I'm re running memtest+ tonight which i'm hoping will give me something conclusive. Much rather spend $51.99 on some gskill ram and actually gain 4gigs of ram than spend $130 on a psu just to keep what i got running.

Really hopping its no my motherboard because be the time i get to replacing that i'll have a new computer.
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 117 V Motherboard
October 20, 2011 3:50:42 AM

You don't need to run memtest all night as soon as you see errors it's a very good indication the ram is bad.
I was just going to post my concerns suspecting the psu.
Good luck!
m
l
October 20, 2011 5:17:04 PM

OK I think I've got an idea of the issue. I ran memtest+ for 13 hours last night using both ram sticks and got 0 errors. However I did change one thing in that I placed a floor fan blowing air on my computer, so I think the issue is my RAM or Motherboard is overheating (I constantly monitor my cpu and gpu temps and they are both stable).

Though it doesn't make since that my RAM would be overheating as I've always had them running at the motherboard default (1066) while the ram is rated at 1600.
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 117 V Motherboard
October 20, 2011 5:23:54 PM

danhazelwood said:
OK I think I've got an idea of the issue. I ran memtest+ for 13 hours last night using both ram sticks and got 0 errors. However I did change one thing in that I placed a floor fan blowing air on my computer, so I think the issue is my RAM or Motherboard is overheating (I constantly monitor my cpu and gpu temps and they are both stable).

Though it doesn't make since that my RAM would be overheating as I've always had them running at the motherboard default (1066) while the ram is rated at 1600.

I doubt your ram is overheating.
I still suspect your psu is the culprit.
This will give you a general idea of what's going on component wise.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2011 5:43:22 PM

Test without the fan and see what happens.
m
l
October 20, 2011 8:01:38 PM

davcon said:
I doubt your ram is overheating.
I still suspect your psu is the culprit.
This will give you a general idea of what's going on component wise.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Installed - Anything in particular I should look for?
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 117 V Motherboard
October 21, 2011 6:44:36 AM

danhazelwood said:
Installed - Anything in particular I should look for?

Temps and psu voltages.
m
l
October 22, 2011 3:55:06 AM

OK its definitely has something to do with overheating. Computer ran stable through an overnight memtest+ and a day and a half of star craft 2 with the fan on it. I forgot to turn the fan on for 15 mins to burn a dvd and the computer freezes up. No blue screen just freezes. The CPU temp was 45c and the GPU was 44c so it wasn't either of those. My Ram is running at Motherboard defaults which is DDR3 1066 while the ram is rated as DDR3 1600 so I don't think its the ram.

I felt the power supply and it did not feel hot, and its fan is spinning.

I felt my WD Raptor that my windows is installed on and that felt hot so that might be a cause. Or could it be my motherboard overheating?
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 117 V Motherboard
October 22, 2011 4:30:03 PM

danhazelwood said:
OK its definitely has something to do with overheating. Computer ran stable through an overnight memtest+ and a day and a half of star craft 2 with the fan on it. I forgot to turn the fan on for 15 mins to burn a dvd and the computer freezes up. No blue screen just freezes. The CPU temp was 45c and the GPU was 44c so it wasn't either of those. My Ram is running at Motherboard defaults which is DDR3 1066 while the ram is rated as DDR3 1600 so I don't think its the ram.

I felt the power supply and it did not feel hot, and its fan is spinning.

I felt my WD Raptor that my windows is installed on and that felt hot so that might be a cause. Or could it be my motherboard overheating?

Your mobo bios will show board temps.
HWMonitor lists even more temps including hdd.
Most hdd's run in the 30's C in a properly cooled system.
If my hdd was 50C+ or more i would start being concerned.
List your system specs please including chassis.
m
l
October 24, 2011 11:46:55 PM

Here are my Temps and Voltages while doing nothing other than being on Toms Hardware. (Keep in mind that I am currently running a small floor fan directly on my motherboard....)

Untitled by danhazelwood, on Flickr

Here are my system specs

Case: APEVIA X-Dreamer - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU: Thermaltake W0106RU 700W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU Fan: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MoBo: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Ram: OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Hard Drive (Windows installed): Western Digital Raptor WD360ADFD 36GB 10000 RPM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Hard Drive (Where I Install Games): 2x OCZ Vertex Turbo OCZSSD2-1VTXT30G 2.5" 30GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) in RAID 0 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GPU: HIS H577FM1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I run my case without a side panel.
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 117 V Motherboard
October 25, 2011 7:23:27 PM

Well your temps look fine other then the cpu temps could be better.
60C is shutdown territory for a 955 your maxes are 55C and you say that's not gaming
I would suggest you double check your HSF mounting and/or reseat the unit.
That would require a clean of hsf surface and cpu plus new paste application.
m
l
October 30, 2011 1:18:43 PM

Here is where I am at now. Every time I re-seat my RAM my computer will run stable for approx 2 days. No errors on MEMTEST+ overnight or anything. After that I will start to see BSOD's, system restarts, and MEMTEST+ will start to return hundreds of thousands of errors in the first hour.

I have run each stick of ram in different memory slots through memtest+ and neither of them returned any errors.
m
l
November 11, 2011 2:15:23 AM

Hello,
I have been having identical problems and have followed some of the same troubleshooting. Just like you I'm frequently getting BSOD's, although my system seems to run stable for up to a week at time before it starts crashing repeatedly. In addition, I also got the same memtest+ error as you saw. And to top it off I'm running a really really similar hardware setup:

AMD Phenom II X4 925
ASUS M4A78t motherboard
ATI Radeon 4770 hd

I tend to crash when I'm in game(any steam game really). The fact that we're both experiencing the same problems leads me to believe it's a hardware failure, and I'm beginning to suspect my MB. However, I suppose it could be the PSU. The problems started shortly after adding an additional SSD. But I tend to doubt that as my PSU is rated for much more than I'm running and seems to be reliable according to reviews.

Same as you, I've updated ALL drivers, flashed bios and run memtest on both sticks of mem. I'm at a loss here I really hope we can both figure this out.

m
l
November 11, 2011 2:20:35 AM

GOODNESS....

I just noticed as well that you have an OCZ 2X Raid 0 array. I just installed the same before my problems began. I feel like this has to be our problem ===> Nearly identical Motherboards both running raid 0 on OCZ SSD's having identical problems. Seems to me that the raid controller on our ASUS 790's is the source of the problem. Maybe a 20-40$ raid controller would be the solution.

When installing the raid array, the asus raid utility had a rough time. It kept crashing and forcing a restart while I was trying to set it up. I'm wondering if you also had a buggy experience with the ASUS RAID controller bios?
m
l
June 1, 2012 6:59:54 AM

Hello, had any of You discovered what caused the problem ? I have similar problem (with Phenom II 965BE, ASrock alivenf5-esata2+ and 4x ddr2 800 memory). It has just started today and the symptoms are nearly identical as danhazelwood's. It doesn't seem to be connected to particular ram chip, but it could be connected to temperature of some components - After I turn on my computer is working for some minutes or hours without problems. Then it begins - tens of thousands memtest errors, Unexpected Interrupt error, BSOD, restarts, crashes. When it begins only thing I can do is turn off computer for some time (and I guess - let it get a bit colder).
Did anyone discover what caused the problem ? PSU ? MOBO ? Something else ? Please let me know.
m
l
a c 114 } Memory
a c 283 V Motherboard
June 1, 2012 3:50:50 PM

Memtest does not use any hardware other than the motherboard, cpu and ram. Perhaps the dvd or usb to get it started.
I would not suspect the ssd or hard drive for this symptom.

Raptors run hotter due to the 10k rpm. I would not worry about that.
The other temperatures also look reasonable for the X4 chip.
If the chip got too hot, I would expect throttling, not a shutdown.

Is the ram you are using supported by the motherboard? AMD ram is more tightly connected to the motherboard than Intel.
Check with the motherboard QVL list of supported ram.
Or, go to the ram vendor's configurator, and enter your motherboard. You should get a list of supported ram kits.

If your ram is not on either list, you will get little support from either the motherboard or ram vendors.
At that point, It might be a good idea to just buy the 8gb kit of supported ram anyway.

A SSD in raid-0 is not a great idea, since you lose trim. Particularly with small ssd's which will get filled up quickly.
I might try using one ssd for the os only, and the other for your games.
I really think 60gb is too small in total, unless you are running only one game.
Ane, OCZ seems to have some problems. It might be worthwhile to check the OCZ forums.

Did you ever test with a different psu? A flaky psu can cause all sorts of random problems.
Is the supplied wall power constant and reliable? If it occasionally drops, that could explain things. A Quality UPS to condition the power would insulate you from such spikes and drops in viltage.
m
l
June 1, 2012 9:23:19 PM

Hello, thanks for answer
I have standard HDD, not Raptors. Also don't think that throttling is supported by my MOBO. But this problem doesn't seem to be connected to CPU (although I can't say this for sure). When problem appears I can restart computer and (despite cpu temp back to 35-40 C) problem exists until I turn off computer for some minutes. So it seems it is connected to something that cools down slower than cpu. Also problem can appear with CPU at 45 C.

geofelt said:

Is the ram you are using supported by the motherboard? AMD ram is more tightly connected to the motherboard than Intel.

Ram has been working on this mobo for more than year without problems so for sure it is compatible.

geofelt said:

Did you ever test with a different psu? A flaky psu can cause all sorts of random problems.

Today. It is not the PSU... The problem still exists with different PSU.

The problem appeared yesterday, about a week after I bought new CPU for my MOBO. At first I thought it can be CPU, MOBO, PSU or RAM. I have just excluded PSU. I can't exclude CPU for sure, but some things I mentioned before suggest that it is unlikely. Today I ran some OCCT tests and this is what I had discovered: running linpack test system hangs after some minutes (usually 8-12 minutes, one time after 2 minutes, but this was after 1 hour of 3D gaming).
With PSU stress test (GPU + CPU) my machine hanged or restarted after 90-130 seconds.

So - Problem doesn't appear soon after turning on computer, but rather after some minutes / hours of turning it depending on system load. This suggest connection with temperature. Problem can last after restarting computer or turning it off only for some seconds - at this time CPU temp is back to low values. So it is rather temperature of the other part than CPU. it seems that the more power is used by whole system, the faster appears the problem. I am not sure about this but I am thinking about PSU / MOBO power supply section. After excluding CPU my only guess is MOBO... Maybe brand new, more powerful CPU was too much for old motherboard ?

It would be nice if some persons that had this problem could answer here too, maybe someone found out what was cause of this symptoms before I will be desperate enough to buy new motherboard ;-)
m
l
June 2, 2012 4:37:21 PM

Hey dr_fell,

I troubleshooted mine for months. My solution ended up being as simple as adjusting my ram latencies and downclocking the ram to 1333 mhz, which happens to be a speed that the phenom 925 likes a lot. I would add that it did most of the time take an hour of stress before it would crash, even though it wasn't a heating problem. So double check all of your ram settings and be sure you're running it at speeds with which your new processor is compatible. Maybe do some reading about the 965 and what ram speeds it likes.

Have you run prime 95? I was able to isolate the ram as the problem by running the 3 tests, one stress memory the most, one stresses the cpu the most and one stresses their cooperative performance. can't remember which is which but I'm sure its in the documentation/prime 95 forum.

What processor where you running before the upgrade?
m
l
June 2, 2012 6:17:31 PM

phillyj said:
Hey dr_fell,

I troubleshooted mine for months. My solution ended up being as simple as adjusting my ram latencies and downclocking the ram to 1333 mhz, which happens to be a speed that the phenom 925 likes a lot. I would add that it did most of the time take an hour of stress before it would crash, even though it wasn't a heating problem. So double check all of your ram settings and be sure you're running it at speeds with which your new processor is compatible. Maybe do some reading about the 965 and what ram speeds it likes.

Have you run prime 95? I was able to isolate the ram as the problem by running the 3 tests, one stress memory the most, one stresses the cpu the most and one stresses their cooperative performance. can't remember which is which but I'm sure its in the documentation/prime 95 forum.

What processor where you running before the upgrade?

Hello. Thanks. I ran Athlon X2 64 before (so I have DDR2 RAM). Today I put my athlon back into socket and the problem still exists - so it is rather hardware damage (that started some days after CPU change) than mem settings. (I have four DDR2 800 chips clocked at 800, tried many different settings, that worked before). The problem appears much more often and sooner with GEIL Ultra than with Twinmos Twister memory (I have two of both). With Athlon (that puts less stres on the mobo and psu) it is very hard to recreate this error with Twinmos and still easy with Geil. With Phenom II system gets unstable with both Geil and Twinmos, but much faster with Geil. This memory worked with this mobo for over a year so I'd rather say some part got damaged and it seems it is MOBO (although tommorow I will check RAM with other computer to be sure and try diferent RAM settings once more, as You sugested).
I will try prime 95 too, thx.
m
l
!