New Build -- $500 AMD-Nvidia budget gaming/multi-purpose

I'm a first time builder, and I'm seeking advice on a $500 budget AMD-nVidia gaming/multi-purpose build. Let me know what you think of my choices. Thanks.

Approximate Purchase Date: This weekend (nVidia discount ends 11/21); but could wait if I could get better deals on nVidia GTX 460 768 or 1gb on Black Friday/Cyber Monday)
Budget Range: $500 after rebates
System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming/multi-purpose
Parts Not Required: keyboard, monitor (27” 1920x1080), mouse, speakers, OS (Windows Vista), tools
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, TigerDirect, Amazon
Country of Origin: USA
Parts Preferences: AMD CPU and nVidia GPU
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: No
Monitor Resolution:1920x1080
Additional Comments: Plan to dual boot Windows Vista and Linux (probably Debian); prefer nVidia for better Linux drivers. Also, I tried to pick components to allow for possible future upgradeability.

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Mobo: ASRock 770 EXTREME3 ATX AMD Motherboard
$73 ($70 + $3shipping)
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/768MD5 Video Card
$115 (after 10% promo code and $20 mail in rebate)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EARS 1.5TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Case/PSU: HEC 6K28BBX585 Black 0.8mm SECC Steel MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case 585W Power Supply
+ (Combo discount)
DVD/CD ROM: LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
$71 ($67 + $4 shipping)

Total (Includes Shipping) – $486
8 answers Last reply
More about build nvidia budget gaming multi purpose
  1. Hi,

You got a few things wrong:

The case is a miniATX, that means that the MOBO will not fit in.

So you need to get a midi tower (case) for the MOBO you choose.

If you can try to get like $50-100 more that will be awsom and would really help to get a high quality PSU and case.

get this case with 500W, it has some decent feedback for it's price:
    RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEBP 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply $89.99

Otherwise if you can spend 10-20 more on RAM and get a bit faster speed like 1600:
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ $64.99

Have you also though of HD 6850 (6850>gtx460 in overall.)

Everything else from that looks great for it's price.
  2. Thanks so much for identifying that my case would not work with my MOBO.

Your RAIDMAX SMILODON seems like a good mid-tower case, but it has a high shipping cost ($17). I noticed for around the same price I could go for the:

Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
    $85 (after mail in rebate and free shipping)

In terms of the HD 6850, I agree that it's a better card, but it's a little outside of my budget and ATI has a bad track record for Linux support.

For the PSU, would 500W be sufficient to power my setup?
  3. I would take the antec psu anyday
  4. Yes i have seen this case is well but after i read the feedback i changed my mind and found the other one I showed you wich has a better feedback.

But yes if you can get it for that price then go for it as it's a high quality brand.
  5. @zooted -- you say that the antec psu is good, but would it be enough to power the GTX 460?

I've been reading around, and I can't figure out the correct PSU requirements for the GTX 460 because it seems that you can have fewer watts (450) if you have high amps? I've heard that even a high Watt, but cheaper, PSU might not have enough amps for the GPU? Also, I haven't been able to figure out how many amps the PSUs have based on Newegg descriptions.

Would I be better off going with the highly rated OCZ Fatality 550W + a separate case? After rebates, it turns out this would cost as much as the Antec Sontata/500W psu combo.

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    which is on sale for $55 (Rebate + Shipping).

COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    $30 (after rebate)
  6. You would be much better off doing that ^
  7. Thanks everyone for the help. I decided to go ahead and get the OCZ PSU and Cooler Master Case.
    In total, my final build came to right around $517.
  8. Yes, nice choise, you will be 100% better of with that OCZ modular power supply.

Hope you enjoy your built.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build AMD Nvidia Systems Product