Sign in with
Your question

Watch Clear QAM Channels using WMC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 27, 2010 10:17:36 AM

I have been using Windows Media Center for years to record analog TV. I have both the Hauppauge HVR-1600 & HVR-1800 in different PC's. I am trying to get them to record HD (Clear QAM). I know the signal is there because when I connect my cable directly to my HDTV it can be configured to receive several Clear QAM channels. When I configure WMC it tells me there is no signal on the digital input (even with the cable connected). The PC with the HVR-1600 (Vista) allows me to tune to the Clear QAM channels (102, etc) but I get no signal using either of the inputs on the HVR card. If I try to configure WMC for the digital guide, it comes up with channels in the 2000's (all of my HD channels are just above 1000). Is there a way to get WMC to receive Clear QAM TV? Can someone point me to a web page with specific instructions on how to configure WMC for Clear QAM? Am I forced to use the Hauppauge WinTV application? FYI, this is Brighthouse cable. Thanks.
September 27, 2010 3:44:32 PM

Does the Hauppauge WinTV application work as intended and display the Clear QAM channels?

Are you using the latest/most current drivers from Hauppauge?
m
l
September 27, 2010 3:48:08 PM

You have an issue with Vista (from H's website):
Can I use the WinTV-HVR-1600 with Media Center?
The WinTV-HVR-1600 will work with Windows Vista or Windows 7 Media Center. Just use the driver provided on the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR Installation CD. Since the WinTV-HVR-1600 is dual tuner, you will be able to watch and record analog cable TV channels and ATSC digital TV channels at the same time. Windows 7 supports clear QAM digital TV, but Vista Media Center does not currently support clear QAM digital cable TV.

The WinTV WinTV-HVR-1600 can be made to work within the Windows XP Media Center application provided you have the latest updates (roll-up 2) for MCE installed. This update provides support for digital (ATSC) tuning and will allow MCE to recognize the WinTV-HVR-1600 as a tuner in its configuration. Without the latest updates MCE will give the error message “No tuner hardware found”.

Under Vista, there would not be any additional updates required for the WinTV HVR -1600 to operate in Media Center
m
l
Related resources
September 27, 2010 3:49:42 PM

So, with Vista it seems you have an issue with both devices. Seems to be supported with Win 7 (and XP). Otherwise, you'll have to use their app.
m
l
September 27, 2010 4:52:33 PM

COLGeek is right. I had this same issue when i was running my dual tuner on vista ultimate 64 and gave up on trying to figure it out. When I upgraded to windows 7 all of a sudden the clear QAM channels started working in windows media center.
m
l
September 27, 2010 5:25:06 PM

I have not tried the Hauppauge WinTV application yet. I just ordered it from their web site today. So Vista's Windows Media Center does not support Clear QAM, but Windows 7's Windows Media Center does? What about the Windows Media Player TV Pack? They want it installed from a clean Vista install (basically too hard), does it support Clear QAM? Thanks.
m
l
September 27, 2010 5:32:11 PM

Since Media Center and Media Player share so much code, I would guess the answer is NO and Clear QAM support is not available with Vista. I don't see where Windows Media Player TV Pack adds the Clear QAM capability on Microsoft's website.

You can go to Hauppauge's website for more definitive answers, but I think you are stuck when it comes to Vista support and Clear QAM.

http://www.hauppauge.com/index.htm
m
l
September 27, 2010 8:13:40 PM

Sorry for the confusion I meant to say "Windows Media Center TV Pac".
I saw on another forum that Hauppauge's WinTV works with Clear Qam.
I ordered it today ($10) and will see what happens.

Thanks for the help.
m
l
September 27, 2010 11:08:28 PM

Congrats! Glad it worked out for you!
m
l
September 28, 2010 10:05:54 AM

Good to know and it was a nice cheap and easy fix.
m
l
!