Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How much saturation ?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 9:32:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Just ran into this gallery:
http://www.foto-julius.at/ind3.html

(see for instance the Seychelles section). Very nice photos, but the
colours are extremely oversaturated. Or aren't they ?
--

Alfred Molon
------------------------------
Olympus 4040, 5050, 5060, 7070, 8080, E300 forum at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MyOlympus/
Olympus 8080 resource - http://myolympus.org/8080/

More about : saturation

January 15, 2005 9:32:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Alfred Molon wrote:
> Just ran into this gallery:
> http://www.foto-julius.at/ind3.html
>
> (see for instance the Seychelles section). Very nice photos, but the
> colours are extremely oversaturated. Or aren't they ?

They look fine to me. What you see will depend on how you have adjusted your monitor.
January 15, 2005 9:32:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Alfred Molon" <alfred_molonREMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1c5371feeea4236398a949@news.supernews.com...
> Just ran into this gallery:
> http://www.foto-julius.at/ind3.html
>
> (see for instance the Seychelles section). Very nice photos, but the
> colours are extremely oversaturated. Or aren't they ?
> --
>
> Alfred Molon
> ------------------------------
> Olympus 4040, 5050, 5060, 7070, 8080, E300 forum at
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MyOlympus/
> Olympus 8080 resource - http://myolympus.org/8080/

Maybe they just live in a very colourful world :o )
Related resources
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 9:32:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Alfred Molon" <alfred_molonREMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1c5371feeea4236398a949@news.supernews.com...
> Just ran into this gallery:
> http://www.foto-julius.at/ind3.html
>
> (see for instance the Seychelles section). Very nice photos, but the
> colours are extremely oversaturated. Or aren't they ?
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

Yes. They are EXTREMELY over saturated.
The easiest indicator in landscape shots is a neon green look.
He has WAAAAAY over-saturated these shots on the computer.
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 10:00:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Mark² wrote:
> "Alfred Molon" <alfred_molonREMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:MPG.1c5371feeea4236398a949@news.supernews.com...
>> Just ran into this gallery:
>> http://www.foto-julius.at/ind3.html
>>
>> (see for instance the Seychelles section). Very nice photos, but the
>> colours are extremely oversaturated. Or aren't they ?
>> --
>>
>> Alfred Molon
>
> Yes. They are EXTREMELY over saturated.
> The easiest indicator in landscape shots is a neon green look.
> He has WAAAAAY over-saturated these shots on the computer.

Could it be an anti-theft ploy?


--
Frank ess

"The discussions of the relative merits of
analog versus digital provided new insight
into the rich and complex world of
mindless polemic."
—Reviewer of the film "Vinyl"
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 10:15:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com> wrote in message
news:p 4udnYa9sswiRXTcRVn-3Q@giganews.com...
> Mark² wrote:
> > "Alfred Molon" <alfred_molonREMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:MPG.1c5371feeea4236398a949@news.supernews.com...
> >> Just ran into this gallery:
> >> http://www.foto-julius.at/ind3.html
> >>
> >> (see for instance the Seychelles section). Very nice photos, but the
> >> colours are extremely oversaturated. Or aren't they ?
> >> --
> >>
> >> Alfred Molon
> >
> > Yes. They are EXTREMELY over saturated.
> > The easiest indicator in landscape shots is a neon green look.
> > He has WAAAAAY over-saturated these shots on the computer.
>
> Could it be an anti-theft ploy?

Hmmm... Make your stuff look bad so nobody wants it?
I guess that's possible, but it would be about the silliest thing I've ever
heard.
January 15, 2005 10:32:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

My monitor has been calibrated recently (gamma is 2.2 and temp is set for
6500°K) and I agree that the pics shown are oversaturated. Could be they use
a Mac and/or there screen is adjusted for a 1.8gamma or they use a different
color temp. Some of the pics, unintentionally oversaturated or not, look
quite good. I tend to like vivid pictures that jump at you.

Bob S.


"Alfred Molon" <alfred_molonREMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1c5371feeea4236398a949@news.supernews.com...
> Just ran into this gallery:
> http://www.foto-julius.at/ind3.html
>
> (see for instance the Seychelles section). Very nice photos, but the
> colours are extremely oversaturated. Or aren't they ?
> --
>
> Alfred Molon
> ------------------------------
> Olympus 4040, 5050, 5060, 7070, 8080, E300 forum at
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MyOlympus/
> Olympus 8080 resource - http://myolympus.org/8080/
January 15, 2005 10:32:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Yeah, I looked at the San Francisco gallery & the sky is nver anywhere
near that blue or the bridge that red. I think those are too much but
I've seen other stuff that's somewhat oversaturated and looks great.
Those are nice but a bit over the top.

BobS wrote:

> My monitor has been calibrated recently (gamma is 2.2 and temp is set for
> 6500°K) and I agree that the pics shown are oversaturated. Could be they use
> a Mac and/or there screen is adjusted for a 1.8gamma or they use a different
> color temp. Some of the pics, unintentionally oversaturated or not, look
> quite good. I tend to like vivid pictures that jump at you.
>
> Bob S.
>
>
> "Alfred Molon" <alfred_molonREMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:MPG.1c5371feeea4236398a949@news.supernews.com...
>
>>Just ran into this gallery:
>>http://www.foto-julius.at/ind3.html
>>
>>(see for instance the Seychelles section). Very nice photos, but the
>>colours are extremely oversaturated. Or aren't they ?
>>--
>>
>>Alfred Molon
>>------------------------------
>>Olympus 4040, 5050, 5060, 7070, 8080, E300 forum at
>>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MyOlympus/
>>Olympus 8080 resource - http://myolympus.org/8080/
>
>
>
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 3:25:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Alfred Molon wrote:
>
> Just ran into this gallery:
> http://www.foto-julius.at/ind3.html
>
> (see for instance the Seychelles section). Very nice photos, but the
> colours are extremely oversaturated. Or aren't they ?
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

I agree. The captions say 'format 35mm', so I guess the shots were
taken with high contrast slide film, scanned, and contrast and
saturation pushed. Not pretty, in my view.

Colin
January 16, 2005 3:25:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I'll bet the photographer doesn't have his monitor calibrated.

Many beautiful pics except for the over saturation.

Q

Colin D wrote:

> I agree. The captions say 'format 35mm', so I guess the shots were
> taken with high contrast slide film, scanned, and contrast and
> saturation pushed. Not pretty, in my view.
>
> Colin
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 5:49:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Alfred Molon wrote:
> Just ran into this gallery:
> http://www.foto-julius.at/ind3.html
>
> (see for instance the Seychelles section). Very nice photos, but the
> colours are extremely oversaturated. Or aren't they ?

Yes! They certainly look supersaturated to me.
But some people really like supersaturation. I am not one of them.
Fuji started the trend with Velvia.
Nature Photographers switched en masse from Kodachrome which was the de
facto standard for accurate color rendition at that time.
They said, enhanced saturation gave the pictures "pop".
Now, every film manufacturer offers an "Enhanced Color" version.
I suspect that most, if not all of the pictures got a saturation boost
in a photo editor.
Bob Williams
!